Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
RE: a web link that said the shop opened at 7.30am not 8.00am

After reading the information on the attached web page at 7.40am this morning I took the 5 minute walk to the aforementioned petrol station to get my Sunday paper. Before leaving my house, I told my 4 year old son to carry on playing with his toys and not to worry as I would only be a few minutes. I locked the house door behind me and made my way to the petrol station. When I got there the lights were on, pumps unlocked, the outside cabinets open and two cashiers behind the counter but a locked shop door? Using his fingers, a young male cashier indicated that he would be opening the door in 10 minutes. I waited patiently outside from a position where I could actually see a copy of the newspaper that I had come to buy. Approximately 5 Minutes later a newspaper stand with a selection of papers, that unfortunately for me did not include the one I was after, was wheeled out of the electronically opened door. With the door now open I was still denied access in a way that seemed to satisfy the female shop assistant. To add further insult, a man picked up a paper from the stand, took it to the counter and was duly served. I understand that people are not normally at their happiest when having to work early on a Sunday morning but nor are customers who are misled by false information on the web and treated like children. When I got home my son asked me if I was alright. I hope that you will be glad to know that he is.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
As far your email of complain is concerned, I have made some changes because it needs to be more formal and have a certain layout.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about the unreliable information on your web site. There were several problems and I feel you be informed about it.

To start with, I saw on your web site that the petrol station opened at 7.30am. At 7.40am, I took a five-minute walk, leaving my four-year-old son alone, playing with his toys, since I thought I would be away only for a few minutes.

When I got there, the lights were on, pumps unlocked, the outside cabinets open and two cashiers behind the counter. However, the shop door were locked. A young male cashier indicated that he would open the door in 10 minutes. I waited patiently outside from a position where I could actually see a copy of the newspaper that I had come to buy. Approximately 5 Minutes later, a newspaper stand, with a selection of papers, that unfortunately did not include the one I came to buy, was wheeled out of the electronically opened door.

A further disappointment was that I was denied access, although the door was open, in a way that seemed to satisfy the female shop assistant. Another thing that I would like to point out is that some other man took the newspaper to the counter and was duly served.

I do understand that people are not really pleased by having to work early on Sunday morning, but nor are the customers who were misled by the false information on the web.Fortunately, when I arrived home, my son was alright.

I hope you will consider my complain.

Yours faithfully

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far your email of complain is concerned, I have made some changes because it needs to be more formal and have a certain layout.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about the unreliable information on your web site. There were several problems and I feel you be informed about it.

To start with, I saw on your web site that the petrol station opened at 7.30am. At 7.40am, I took a five-minute walk, leaving my four-year-old son alone, playing with his toys, since I thought I would be away only for a few minutes.

When I got there, the lights were on, pumps unlocked, the outside cabinets open and two cashiers behind the counter. However, the shop door were locked. A young male cashier indicated that he would open the door in 10 minutes. I waited patiently outside from a position where I could actually see a copy of the newspaper that I had come to buy. Approximately 5 Minutes later, a newspaper stand, with a selection of papers, that unfortunately did not include the one I came to buy, was wheeled out of the electronically opened door.

A further disappointment was that I was denied access, although the door was open, in a way that seemed to satisfy the female shop assistant. Another thing that I would like to point out is that some other man took the newspaper to the counter and was duly served.

I do understand that people are not really pleased by having to work early on Sunday morning, but nor are the customers who were misled by the false information on the web.Fortunately, when I arrived home, my son was alright.

I hope you will consider my complain.

Yours faithfully

Unreliable information is very annoying, it's true. Can I make one suggestion though, on the assumption that this story is true? You might not want to advertise on a public website that you locked a 4-year-old child alone in a house even if it was only meant to be for 5 minutes. You could get into serious trouble!

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Now I think about it. It could really make a big problem.

Also I omitted one word in the second sentence. You should say - I feel you SHOULD be informed....

emsr2d2 thank you :)

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Unreliable information is very annoying, it's true. Can I make one suggestion though, on the assumption that this story is true? You might not want to advertise on a public website that you locked a 4-year-old child alone in a house even if it was only meant to be for 5 minutes. You could get into serious trouble!

Yes it did happen but with my wife and 11 year old son in my house at the time, albeit upstairs and probably asleep, I was not being as irresponsible as the email suggests. I was just trying to get an opinion on my email and how it could have been improved. Feel free to use this thread and respond to my email.:up: maybe I could try to give a response.

Every day is a school day for me:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.