Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Doing a favour

  1. #1
    Conoscenza SIlente is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Doing a favour

    Hi
    Do you know which is the correct way to ask for a favor?
    Sometimes I hear "Can you give me a favor?" and "Can you do me a favor"?:
    I Think that the second one is the correct one, but can you confirm me that is it so?
    Many Thanks!
    CS

  2. #2
    MASM's Avatar
    MASM is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    Quote Originally Posted by Conoscenza SIlente View Post
    Hi
    Do you know which is the correct way to ask for a favor?
    Sometimes I hear "Can you give me a favor?" and "Can you do me a favor"?:
    I Think that the second one is the correct one, but can you confirm me that is it so?
    Many Thanks!
    CS
    I'd say Can you do me a favour?, I've never heard the other sentence before, but maybe it's a common thing to say, I'm not sure.

    xxx

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    Quote Originally Posted by Conoscenza SIlente View Post
    Hi
    Do you know which is the correct way to ask for a favor?
    Sometimes I hear "Can you give me a favor?" and "Can you do me a favor"?:
    I Think that the second one is the correct one, but can you confirm me that is it so?
    Many Thanks!
    CS
    Yes, do, not give.
    Also more formally, "Please grant me a favour".

  4. #4
    Codyroo is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    The second one is the only one I've heard used in conversation. (Can you do me a favor....)

  5. #5
    lovelygirl is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    yeah tha second one.........

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    'Do' or 'grant'. I don't believe this could occur in any realistic context, but 'Give me a favour' forces an archaic meaning of favour. So, in a re-enactment of a mediŠval tournament, a knight who was about to fight might approach a lady and say 'Give me a favour', meaning 'Give me your handkerchief or some other pretty token that I can wear on my helmet to represent the object of my allegiance'.... Perhaps not.

    b

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    'Do' or 'grant'. I don't believe this could occur in any realistic context, but 'Give me a favour' forces an archaic meaning of favour. So, in a re-enactment of a mediŠval tournament, a knight who was about to fight might approach a lady and say 'Give me a favour', meaning 'Give me your handkerchief or some other pretty token that I can wear on my helmet to represent the object of my allegiance'.... Perhaps not.

    b

    But would a mediŠval knight use a verb as direct as give?

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    But would a mediŠval knight use a verb as direct as give?
    Yup. 'Vouchsafe' would be nearer the mark.

    b

  9. #9
    Tluang is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Doing a favour

    yap, based on my understanding the second line is more used in the conversation...........

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Which difference between 'favor' and 'favour'... ???
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2009, 00:32
  2. Please do me a BIG favour!
    By ohmyrichard in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2009, 06:36
  3. favour
    By imchongjun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2008, 02:19
  4. could you do me a favour?
    By abdalhadi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2007, 14:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •