Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone. I've got a phone interview later this week for a CELTA course in Vietnam, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what I can expect. I've been told it will be approximately 40 minutes. Is there anything I should be preparing? From what I've read, I should expect to go through my pre-interview task, first and foremost. There seems to be mixed advice out there between people who say it's just a formality to show you're not a complete idiot and compare them to trying to convince a shop to sell you something, and people who say it was quite in depth teaching questions (although that tended to be for in-person interviews). But obviously, I'd rather prepare for the latter of those possibilities and not need it, than the other way around. I don't think I'm going to become a grammatical genius in a few days, but is there anything you think I should be thinking about? Or perhaps I should just spend the time going over my pre-interview task so I know it inside out? I really want this, so I can't cock it up.

ETA: I've read an account of someone who went on the same interview, and it said the questions were about how you would teach something to a class of a particular level, so is there any advice people could offer specifically about this? Without knowing the question in advance, obviously. Perhaps a source with advice on basic teaching methods?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're probably both right- you'll get in-depth questions from a shop trying to sell you something. Prepare the pre-interview task as fully as you can and remember that if you had all the answers now, you wouldn't need the course.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks tdol. I got a place on the course. Yay!

It was all pretty straightforward really, although I found that having some notes, prepared questions, and my pre-interview task in front of me really helped.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thanks tdol. I got a place on the course. Yay!

It was all pretty straightforward really, although I found that having some notes, prepared questions, and my pre-interview task in front of me really helped.

Congratulations !!

Status
Not open for further replies.