• Start date
  • Views : 1,659
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi everyone
Please somebody help me understand the meaning of this text
ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; ...
these sentences seem having no relation, what they want to say?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone
Please somebody help me understand the meaning of this text
ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; ...
these sentences seem having no relation, what they want to say?

I can see no connection between them at all. I can only assume that the first 3 sentences are all contained in "Baker's mature and searching study". We are not told what that study was, or what other conclusions he came to.

ARAM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can see no connection between them at all. I can only assume that the first 3 sentences are all contained in "Baker's mature and searching study". We are not told what that study was, or what other conclusions he came to.
Here is more complete text:
Early in Human Smoke, Baker quotes diary entries that reveal how he relished his friendship with Hitler in a manner that recalls the pining of fatherless child. Later, in 1941, Goebbels would write: “the world war is here, and the annihilation of the Jews must be a necessary consequence.” Is this disputed? Certainly not by Nicholson Baker.
Moral ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; it betrays an acute apprehension that in turn masks a deeper need for assurance. Scored in the human condition is a marrow-deep craving for the solace of a Manichean duality that never existed, and never will. To slake this need, a story is repeated, rhetorical snares are set. A refuge is erected. Those who are troubled are given cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.