Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Please

    Can the word "PLEASE" use in a sentence like this: I please you to come to my house. Heard it from a friend.

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    No, that would never be said by a native speaker.

    I plead with you, perhaps.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. #3
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    ***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

    Quote Originally Posted by ifalikson View Post
    Can the word "PLEASE" use in a sentence like this: I please you to come to my house. Heard it from a friend.
    Maybe,
    I am pleased that you have come to my house.
    I am pleased to have you over.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    ***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***



    Maybe,
    I am pleased that you have come to my house.
    I am pleased to have you over.
    Thank you and yes, I know that.. Just wondering please as in a form of verb. I understand that please is an adjective. Anyway, thanks and got my answer.

  5. #5
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    Quote Originally Posted by ifalikson View Post
    Thank you and yes, I know that.. Just wondering please as in a form of verb. I understand that please is an adjective. Anyway, thanks and got my answer.
    Yes, "please" may function as a verb, as euncu just wrote above.
    However, in your original sentence there is no room for "please" as a verb, as Barb_D already said.
    "Please" is not an adjective, depending on the situation it can be an adverb or a verb.

    Probably your friend meant "I plead you to come to my house," with the verb "plead" meaning "beg".

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Yes, "please" may function as a verb, as euncu just wrote above.
    However, in your original sentence there is no room for "please" as a verb, as Barb_D already said.
    "Please" is not an adjective, depending on the situation it can be an adverb or a verb.
    "Pleased" is an adjective in "I am pleased that you came" = "I am delighted, happy, glad ... that you came".
    "Please" is a verb in "It would please me if you came", "Your coming pleases me".

    I please you to come to my house. Wrong
    It would please me if you came to my house. Right.

  7. #7
    The Majesty's Avatar
    The Majesty is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Pleased" is an adjective in "I am pleased that you came" = "I am delighted, happy, glad ... that you came".
    "Please" is a verb in "It would please me if you came", "Your coming pleases me".

    I please you to come to my house. Wrong
    It would please me if you came to my house. Right.
    Like what our teacher said
    Last edited by The Majesty; 30-Apr-2010 at 03:28.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk