Does the word "precursor" has a verb form?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 20,673
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

To all dear teachers,

I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a selection of words if it doesn't (since I've tried several possibilities that looked like a verb). I'd use the word in an example such as this:

These repeated events were ________ by common changes.....

Thanks in advance

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To all dear teachers,

I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a selection of words if it doesn't (since I've tried several possibilities that looked like a verb). I'd use the word in an example such as this:

These repeated events were ________ by common changes.....

Thanks in advance
preceded.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
forerun/preceded

BTW, "does the word have" not "has".

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had to look up "forerun" because I had never seen it before. Indeed, the dictionary's definition makes it exactly the right word, but it's not a common one in the U.S.

I have a reasonably advanced vocabulary and so do my colleagues and if I used that word, they would look at me quizzically.

Perhaps this extremely apt word is in more common use elsewhere. It deserves to be. But don't use it here.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's worth pointing out (though it may be unnecessary for many readers) that 'forerun' is pronounced as only two syllables: /fɔ:'rʌn/ . The vowel in the 'run' part inflects as you'd expect; so the simple past is 'foreran'.

If the first thing (the forerunner) doesn't influence or lead to the second thing, bur only hints at ts coming, you could also use 'foreshadow' or 'give a foretaste'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.