Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: elections

  1. #1
    beachboy's Avatar
    beachboy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default elections

    In Brazil, we donīt use ballot papers when we have to vote anymore; we use computers where we digit the candidatesī numbers. If I donīt like any of the candidates, and, on purpose, I digit a number that doesnīt correspond to any of the candidates, what am I doing: spoiling the vote or invalidating the vote, or both?
    Last edited by beachboy; 18-Apr-2010 at 23:58.

  2. #2
    beachboy's Avatar
    beachboy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    How can an American spoil and how can he invalidade his vote? Could you give me examples?

  3. #3
    beachboy's Avatar
    beachboy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    So what would you do with the ballot paper if none of the candidates pleased you?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21,405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    So what would you do with the ballot paper if none of the candidates pleased you?
    With a paper ballot in the UK, if you don't wish to vote for any of the candidates, you simply have to make any mark on the paper that is not in line with the voting rules (or of course you could write nothing at all, or just not even go to vote!)
    In the UK, you mark a large "X" in a box next to the name of the person you are voting for. If you make any other type of mark, or write anything anywhere on the ballot paper other than in the box, you have officially "spoiled" your ballot paper.
    As it's meant to be a secret vote, you then fold the paper in half and put it in the ballot box so the people who are monitoring the vote have no idea what you did.

  5. #5
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    With a paper ballot in the UK, if you don't wish to vote for any of the candidates, you simply have to make any mark on the paper that is not in line with the voting rules (or of course you could write nothing at all, or just not even go to vote!)
    In the UK, you mark a large "X" in a box next to the name of the person you are voting for. If you make any other type of mark, or write anything anywhere on the ballot paper other than in the box, you have officially "spoiled" your ballot paper.
    As it's meant to be a secret vote, you then fold the paper in half and put it in the ballot box so the people who are monitoring the vote have no idea what you did.
    (The rules are very strict. If you put a by the candidate's name, the ballot is spoilt.)

    b

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    In Brazil, we donīt use ballot papers when we have to vote anymore; we use computers where we digit the candidatesī numbers. If I donīt like any of the candidates, and, on purpose, I digit a number that doesnīt correspond to any of the candidates, what am I doing: spoiling the vote or invalidating the vote, or both?
    Also, 'digit' isn't a verb.
    "press a button" is close to what you want.
    To vote, we press the candidate's number on the keypad.

  7. #7
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: elections

    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    So what would you do with the ballot paper if none of the candidates pleased you?
    The only thing in the UK is to spoil your ballot. Unfortunately, we don't have a box for 'None of the Candidates'.

Similar Threads

  1. Elections are due in Kenya next month?
    By sambistapt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2009, 10:41
  2. Kindly check my para on elections...
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2009, 16:04
  3. election(s)
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2007, 13:01
  4. Elections
    By queenbu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2006, 16:45
  5. Some vocabulary from USA 2004 Elections.
    By Muhammad Ali in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2004, 14:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk