Thread: Arts

I like English Guest

Smile Arts

Dear Teachers,

I am writing to ask the following passage.

The earliest forms of art, from the Prehistoric era, include simple cave paintings and figures made from stone. These were followed by the sculptures and carvings of the Ancient Civilizatons era. styles of the later Classical era (800 B.C. to 200 A.D.), reflect the culture of the time-one that favored simplicity and balance. "The period of the Middle Ages followed, and was succeeded by a revival of classical styles in the Renaissance era," beginning around 1400. Well-known artists of this time include Michelangelo and da Vinci. One hundred years of Baroque style, and then fifty years of Rococo followed the 200-year Renaissance. The start of the nineteenth century saw the rise of the Premodern era, followed by the Modern era, a period that lasted until 1945. This was followed by the Post modern era that characterizes the present day.

--My understanding about this passage is that the period of the Middle ages was between Classical era and Renaissance era, so the renaissance goes after the Middle ages. My question is that how could the characteristics of arts in Middle Ages was the revival of classical styles in the Renaissance era?
    --"The period of the Middle Ages followed, and was succeeded by a revival of classical styles in the Renaissance era,"... Could someone explain this sentence for me?

Thanks!

Emily

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arts

In the renaissance era, they looked back in time at the classical period, looking at old building, statues, texts, etc.