Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Speaking skills"

Improving "language proficiency" is always talked about. The way of fluency and accuracy in one's speaking is also important.

As I understood, writing and reading may help one at first if they feel like speaking. He/she learns and then uses new words and expressions through the both skills above. Reading may increase the number of new vocabularies, phrases and so on. then they will be used properly in writing. Those learned expressions would be produced by speaking in real situations.

Standing in front of the "mirror" and speaking by oneself may improve one's speaking skill too.

Would you please add more examples to move forward speaking skill by itself?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you mean ways of practising alone?

Body Language

Member Type
Other
Listening to English speaking Radio and TV Channels and movies are very helpful. If you don't have enough free times to focus on them, just do your normal works and let them be on. You'll get the lessons in your unconcious memory.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Listening to English speaking Radio and TV Channels and movies are very helpful. If you don't have enough free times to focus on them, just do your normal works and let them be on. You'll get the lessons in your unconcious memory.
Yes, writing down whatever we hear from T.V channels and, especially radio can be very useful.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Imagine interviewing yourself- gives you two sides of a conversation.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You can also find the Pimsleur English for your region. It's the best oral program out there -- that can be mentioned here.

Last edited:

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can also find the Pimsleur English for your region. It's the best oral program out there -- that can be mentioned here.
Interesting! I will search about Pimsleur and write here soon.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Imagine interviewing yourself- gives you two sides of a conversation.
Exactly, I had practiced like that and it was useful.

hakaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
as an English learner I use everything to improve my language
And I find listen to English conversation is best way ever ..along with learning phrases instead of individual words ..
regards

sarah bin

Member Type
Student or Learner
For me , prodcasts are very helpful ,Also, movies
But as sonns as u listen, u should repeat everything
repetition will let can understand more

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Repetition will let you understand more.

or

Repetition can let you understand more.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Why not practise with a pen pal

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
For sure, having a pen pal is the best way to practice all kind of conversations, news, hobbies, things you do in your daily life and if there is a common thing you like the most, then you will be improving much all your vocabulary on this matter.
So, perhaps we could make a new title (how do you call each chapter of this forum?) to let people explain where are they from, what level of english do they have and explain if there are interested in have a pen pal to be able to improve its skills in this language
It's idea, what do you think?

asdf1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
You have to think in English all the time.

You have to remind yourself to be constantly inspired. What motivates you to learn how to speak English fluently?

You have to read a lot. Look up the meanings of the English words and phrases. Memorize and understand them. Most importantly, internalize those meanings. Keep going back to what you have studied. Habituate it. When I say going back, even in your free time, remember those phrases and words. Don't let yourself be jaded about it. Never. You have a purpose. Pursue it until you finally get it. And even then, never stop learning. Learning another language doesn't happen overnight.

Always pretend that billions of people are watching you speak. That it is your job from now on to be the best non-native English speaker in the world. You have to be brimming with confidence all the time.

I think the most important aspect of language skills acquisition is your mentation. English speakers think differently from other language speakers and that's why some of their phrases and words are a little bit different. Besides, they've got a completely different culture. That's why they express themselves differently; so, you have to start thinking like them so you could sound like them.

Your goal is not supposed to be just fluent but learn how to manipulate those words. Be smart all the time on how to express your ideas. Avoid talking in circles. Reserve such action on embellishing your speech. Be direct to the point.

Remember: Think English all the time (every second if necessary).

And that's how you learn.:-D

asdf1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States

Repetition will let you understand more.

or

Repetition can let you understand more.

It's more than repetition.

It's:

repetition + internalization = skill acquisition
;-)

MraNir

Member Type
Student or Learner
This a good piece of advice, adsf1234
And if you have no english speakers around you? What could be the best way to start thinking in english? I mean, if you only try to think in english for a while everyday and making the exercise of internalizate it...but you don't have any english speaker near you to practice... Do you know a good way to be able to speak fluently if you can't practice with an english-speaker?

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
For sure, having a pen pal is the best way to practice all kind of conversations, news, hobbies, things you do in your daily life and if there is a common thing you like the most, then you will be improving much all your vocabulary on this matter.
So, perhaps we could make a new title (how do you call each chapter of this forum?) to let people explain where are they from, what level of english do they have and explain if there are interested in have a pen pal to be able to improve its skills in this language
It's idea, what do you think?
I think it's a good idea, I will try to post a new one on what you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.