survey: vulgarisms of different languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapthorne

Member Type
Academic
Hello,
I am new here, so I would like to introduce myself: my name is Dominik and I am the student of the last year of linguistics a the University of Gdańsk in Poland, currently writing MA paper on the cross-cultural (and also cross-linguistic) aspects of swearing. The particular interest of the study is how different nations, cultures and language use the indecent words, what is the attitude towards swearing in different societies and, most importantly, what are the tabooed areas in different parts of the world. I am especially aware of the fact that vulgarisms are one of the first linguistic items acquired while living among native speakers of given language, and the reasons are obvious: swear words constitute a very natural, direct means of enriching communication due to their ability to convey emotional meaning that non-vulgar expressions cannot achieve. Therefore, I decided to introduce my questionnaire here as the forums are visited by learners of different nations would contribute to a non-biased and reliable data on this fascinating and barely touched topic.Also, as soon as I get a sufficient number of responses I will post the results here to share the data with the forum readers. Of course, the it is a completely non-profit research which serves purely academical purpose. If you have any questions concerning the survey or the theory of vulgarisms in general - feel free to post it here, I've been studying this matter for several months so I think that I'll be able to provide answers and dissipate your doubts.

Here is the link:
kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KIDKGG_be87c18e

thanks,
Dominik

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Question 8 shouldn't be compulsory if you want English speakers to answer too. ;-)

cloa513

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
That was sure closed quick

Status
Not open for further replies.