View Poll Results: How .... did you spend?

Voters
1412. This poll is closed
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Much or Many 1

  1. #1
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Much or Many 1

    What's the difference?

  2. #2
    lucyarliwu Guest

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    What's the difference?
    I think we should put a accountable noun to be modified after 'how many' like this:
    How many hours do you spend ?
    As for 'much', which usually modifies to unaccountable nouns like 'money',but it's better the whole sentence written like this:
    How much do you spend on (new bike.....)?

    Am I complete right?

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    What's the difference?
    I think we should put a accountable noun to be modified after 'how many' like this:
    How many hours do you spend ?
    As for 'much', which usually modifies to unaccountable nouns like 'money',but it's better the whole sentence written like this:
    How much do you spend on (new bike.....)?

    Am I complete right?
    May I make a suggestion?

    It's countable and uncountable. Also, say: "Am I completely right?" Other than that, your answer looks pretty good to me.

    :)

  4. #4
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with Ron, Lucy- an acountable noun would have a boss or someone to report to and explain its actions. )

  5. #5
    lucyarliwu Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I agree with Ron, Lucy- an acountable noun would have a boss or someone to report to and explain its actions. )
    :D :P :D
    I'm sorry for my OOPS! hehe....

  6. #6
    lucyarliwu Guest

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    May I make a suggestion?

    It's countable and uncountable. Also, say: "Am I completely right?" Other than that, your answer looks pretty good to me.

    :)
    Thanks RonBee for your corrections, I love it for I 've got so many mistakes on my English which need correction definitely from experts, for I myself can't find my own mistakes. I even wonder if I should get some systemetic studying.....

    Thanks again!

    Lucy wu

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    May I make a suggestion?

    It's countable and uncountable. Also, say: "Am I completely right?" Other than that, your answer looks pretty good to me.

    :)
    Thanks RonBee for your corrections, I love it for I 've got so many mistakes on my English which need correction definitely from experts, for I myself can't find my own mistakes. I even wonder if I should get some systemetic studying.....

    Thanks again!

    Lucy wu
    Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I suppose it is a relative term. :)

    Do you think this forum has been helpful so far? Do you think you are using English more effectively because of it?

    I make plenty of mistakes myself. Please point them out when you see them. :wink:

    You are welcome always.

    :)

  8. #8
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    [ I even wonder if I should get some systemetic studying.....



    Lucy wu
    Naaa!!!

  9. #9
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    I even wonder if I should get some systemetic studying
    Um, it's systematic, but perhaps that was a typo.

    Words that end in -atic:

    • acrobatic
      asthmatic
      autocratic
      automatic
      axiomatic
      charismatic
      democratic
      dramatic


    :)

  10. #10
    lucyarliwu Guest

    Default Re: Much or Many 1

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyarliwu
    I even wonder if I should get some systemetic studying
    Um, it's systematic, but perhaps that was a typo.

    Words that end in -atic:

    • acrobatic
      asthmatic
      autocratic
      automatic
      axiomatic
      charismatic
      democratic
      dramatic


    :)
    I'm sorry Ron, it's not a typo, indeed it's my spelling mistake as you guessed already, thanks for your correction and relative references.
    BTW, do you think I'm now qualified to point out mistake from others? I assume it's very hard to do it especially from experts' remarks for me. Anyway I will try from now on, hehe....so watch out, everyone! :wink:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •