Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it true that 'I am writing to you' is a BrE?
Someone told me that in AmE correct (or more common) way to say/write it is 'I am writing you to'
Are they both correct?

Many thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it true that 'I am writing to you' is a BrE?
Someone told me that in AmE correct (or more common) way to say/write it is 'I am writing you to'
Are they both correct?

Many thanks

Your second example (writing you to) is not correct anywhere. However, there is a little difference between BrE and AmE in this regard:

BrE - I am writing to you.
AmE - I am writing you.

BrE - Please, write to me soon!
AmE - Please, write me soon!

BrE - I'll write to you next week.
AmE - I'll write you next week.

I believe that "write to me/you" is also used in AmE. However, "write me/you" is never used in BrE.

misiania

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So would this sentence in AmE be correct then?

I am writing you to kindly request a copy of "TA" published in "TC".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So would this sentence in AmE be correct then?

I am writing you to kindly request a copy of "TA" published in "TC".

Ah, yes, in that case "I am writing you to....." would be correct. (Apologies, when you first posted, I thought that you wanted to know if "I am writing you to" was a correct, complete sentence!!

In my opinion, "to kindly request" doesn't really make any sense. You are not being kind or generous by asking for something. The company will be very kind if it sends you what you ask for. I would suggest simply "I am writing you to request a copy........"

isedehi

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Ah, yes, in that case "I am writing you to....." would be correct. (Apologies, when you first posted, I thought that you wanted to know if "I am writing you to" was a correct, complete sentence!!

In my opinion, "to kindly request" doesn't really make any sense. You are not being kind or generous by asking for something. The company will be very kind if it sends you what you ask for. I would suggest simply "I am writing you to request a copy........"
i also know about ' i humbly request'. it is often used where i come from. what is your opinion on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.