Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is the meaning of "Alice in wonderland"

Please give some usage note of this phrase with some example sentences.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What is the meaning of "Alice in wonderland"

Please give some usage note of this phrase with some example sentences.[/QUOTE

"Alice in wonderland" is the name of Lewis Carrol's most popular story. Have you heard/read it in a particular structure?, because I don't think it has any other use apart from the reference to the book.

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In a newspaper line, some years ago, can't recollect the context though. But remember the sentence: "This is no Alice in Wonderland."

Another example I got on a website.
"Nevertheless, it is hard not to see some Alice-in-Wonderland logic in action here."

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In a newspaper line, some years ago, can't recollect the context though. But remember the sentence: "This is no Alice in Wonderland."

Another example I got on a website.
"Nevertheless, it is hard not to see some Alice-in-Wonderland logic in action here."

Well, as the book is a succession of crazy events which on the other hand make people think about them, that means that the illogical things have their logic at some point. Maybe this page can help you: LSAT Logic in Alice in Wonderland

xxx

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There is no answer to my question. Actually the page didn't contain anything that tells the meaning of it.
I know the story.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It refers to your last sentence, related to the use of logic in the story. If you know the story you should be able to guess what the sentences you've heard or read mean..I'm sorry I don't have more context to help you.

Codyroo

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I tend to think of the term "like Alice in Wonderland" to mean that someone's senses have been overwhelmed by what they are taking in. Too much information coming from all their senses for the brain to process fast enough to the point that they person is overwhelmed and confused. Something so fantastic that it hardly seems believeable or real.

As an example, take a young girl, who has lived in a small village (and has read Alice in Wonderland") and then suddenly transport her to downtown London.

Sight - Crowded with people, dressed in all sorts of fancy clothes, tall buildings, shop windows filled with exotic items
Smells - baked goods, meats, sweets, vehicle exhaust, etc
Sound - Traffic, horns honking, people talking, construction equipment, vendors hawking goods, occasional bird call, whistling, musical instruments.

Father to little girl upon showing her london "How do you feel?"
little girl to father "Like Alice in Wonderland"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Fantasy, make-believe

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why it is written like this "this is no Alice in Wonderland" instead of writing "this is not Alice in Wonderland" which is much common?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We know it's not Alice in Wonderland itself, so saying it's no Alice in Wonderland means it doesn't have the characteristics of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.