Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Which of the possibilities would you use? (The first sentence is there only to provide context.)

Since this structure parallels that of a government, a sports governing body may be likened to a sovereign state. The international federations may be viewed as the government of their sport and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

The international federations may be viewed as the governments of their sport and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

The international federations may be viewed as the governments of their sports and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

I would go with number 2.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which of the possibilities would you use? (The first sentence is there only to provide context.)

Since this structure parallels that of a government, a sports governing body may be likened to a sovereign state. The international federations may be viewed as the government of their sport and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

The international federations may be viewed as the governments of their sport and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

The international federations may be viewed as the governments of their sports and the national federations as autonomous communities with well-defined powers.

I would go with number 2.

Thanks.

I would agree with you. There are various federations, representing different sports.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about of their respective sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.