An Advanced Lawyer Student... What to Do?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetablanca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Argentina
Hello.

I'm in a bit of a challenging situation- I have a private student who is considerably advanced. He is an Argentine lawyer specializing in labor law (which is something that I frankly know nothing about!). We recently started working together, and the more I work with him, the more I begin to start to panic a bit, because I am using up my "bag of tricks" that I usually have reserved for my most advanced students. I'm still not sure what I can really teach him that he doesn't already know...

It essentially boils down to the fact that he wants to do mostly speaking activities (his grammar, reading, and writing are fine). He wants to maintain what he's already learned over the years (of course) and improve legal, general, and colloquial American English for when he deals with foreign clients that come to his country.

I've thought about activities with phrasal verbs and legal terms, but they're not as dynamic or can reach as long-term as I would like them to. I'm sure there's got to be potential for a role-playing situation of some sort where I could ask a lot of questions, etc., but I'm a little short sighted and don't know how to use that to its fullest potential, because I really know NOTHING about any form of law.

Does anyone out there have experience dealing with highly advanced students, students with legal backgrounds, or better yet, both? If so, what have you done with your students?!?

Many thanks for any and all ideas!
-L

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might want to try theattorneysforum.com. I wasn't aware of this site but I googled "legal discussion" and found it and a quick look seems to be in the same form as this site. Your student could, in fact, interact with other "posters" as we do here.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's a book called 'English for Law' by Alison Riley that might help- I have used it with postgrad law students. It's a hefty tome and does go into English law quite a lot, but you should be able to find plenty to use with it.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Regarding the law aspects, the two posters above have provided excellent advices.
Regarding the "highly-advanced" student aspect, I suggest the following:

Although you think you are not teaching him anything, in fact you are. Just by talking to him he is learning the language. Depending on his likes, you could discuss some linguistic and English language structure itself. You could use some books aimed to native speakers digressing about English. Maybe it would also be interesting to teach him some cultural aspects of English speaking countries, accents, slangs, jokes, etc (he mentioned he wants to focus on some colloquial English).

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I would have him read "Letters from the Earth" by Twain. Once he had read them, discuss how Twain used the language. If he can understand the meanings, he is an advanced student.

What is so special in this work?
Wouldn't it be important to read first some of the "adventures"?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
While it is important to read the more popular books by Twain, one should also consider his less well known writings. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are foils used to show societal problems – “Letters from the Earth” is more directed and to the point.
“Letters from the Earth” represents Twain’s creativity and sarcasm at its best. The stories are insightful and analytical. The reader is forced to consider a point of view wholly different from what they were taught as children. Though the stories are written in simple language, they carry a heavy message. The more popular stories written by Twain contain controversial material. “Letters from the Earth” are more pointed and illustrate the various problems associated with humanity and the gods.
If a person can read and understand “Letters from the Earth”, then that person has more than an elementary grasp on how English can be used.

I've read some American schools have banned Huckleberry Fin because of the word nigger which nowadays has a much stronger negative charge than in Twain's days.

Status
Not open for further replies.