• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Paragraph comprehension

1. Guite testified that former public minister Alfonso Gagliano went to bat for Vickers&Benson in 2000 to ensure it kept its tourism contract after a takeover by French advertising giant Havas.

Question
    a. went to bat = stood in court? if I were to replace 'went to bat' with something else, what phrase would you use?

b. takeover = it's not like I don't know what takeover means. But when it says 'a takeover by...', does it mean Vickers&Benson was taken over by Havas?

2. "I understood that he maybe wasn't a man that understood why I insisted on being meticulous with things," Tremblay said.
    "At that time my light didn't go on regarding everything it could entail. I didn't stop to think about it."

what does she mean by 'my light didn't go on'? and what is she trying to tell overall?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paragraph comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade
    1. Guite testified that former public minister Alfonso Gagliano went to bat for Vickers&Benson in 2000 to ensure it kept its tourism contract after a takeover by French advertising giant Havas.

Question
    a. went to bat = stood in court? if I were to replace 'went to bat' with something else, what phrase would you use?

b. takeover = it's not like I don't know what takeover means. But when it says 'a takeover by...', does it mean Vickers&Benson was taken over by Havas?

2. "I understood that he maybe wasn't a man that understood why I insisted on being meticulous with things," Tremblay said.
    "At that time my light didn't go on regarding everything it could entail. I didn't stop to think about it."

what does she mean by 'my light didn't go on'? and what is she trying to tell overall?

Thanks in advance!
    go to bat for someone= go all the way to help someone out, do everything possible to help.

idiom dict. : "help someone by talking to managers or authorities"

takeover by... = ownership goes to Havas
    my light didn't go on - I didn't clue in right aways, it didn't dawn on me