• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can anybody give some advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Quote Originally Posted by whl626
    Well, I just meant to tell that VOA news are in the main about political issues that might not be interesting to females.
    That's what I thought you meant .... Your comment sounds somewhat medieval to me.
    There were women politicans in the medieval times. )
    I actually wanted to use the term "male chauvinist" but thought it was a bit strong....but there, I've said it.
    I'm surprised that none of you 'men' have made any comment. Does that mean that you agree with WHL?
    Please allow me to clear the air, I didn't mean to hit someone's nerve Maybe because of the cultural differences that I conveyed my message not in an appropriate way. I am sorry about that :(

Post Thanks / Like

I actually wanted to use the term "male chauvinist" but thought it was a bit strong....but there, I've said it.
    I'm surprised that none of you 'men' have made any comment. Does that mean that you agree with WHL?
    If you are unhappy with someone's comment, why not ask for the reason behind the comment. Perhaps, there are cultural reasons for it, perhaps the person is just odd or a wack-job. If there are cultural reasons, then you can (and should) try to understand why people think that way. If the person it a nut-job you should decide when it's best to give up and go home. No point shouting at the insane!

It's important to respect other cultures, especially when they're different from ours. Besides, you can also explain your own thoughts and ideas.

Iain

P.S. Nice to see you back! :)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was not aware of the difference between ' women ' and ' females ' after all. Females is a sensitive word :? ?
    Words can be tricky things. :wink:

I suggest not using the word females in social situations. When you are talking about biology tho, it's fine. (A woman I knew once told me I shouldn't use the word gal.)

Since I am new to forum kind of thing, I am confused over some button functions :P
    Well, I'm here to help. Anyhow, it looks to me like you're learning fast.

You're doing fine. :D

Don't worry. :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Men and women are different

Men and women are different.

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dduck
    If you are unhappy with someone's comment, why not ask for the reason behind the comment. Perhaps, there are cultural reasons for it, perhaps the person is just odd or a wack-job. If there are cultural reasons, then you can (and should) try to understand why people think that way. If the person it a nut-job you should decide when it's best to give up and go home. No point shouting at the insane!

It's important to respect other cultures, especially when they're different from ours. Besides, you can also explain your own thoughts and ideas.

Iain

P.S. Nice to see you back! :)
    All of those thoughts did go through my mind. However, as a European female / woman, I still felt slightly insulted by WHL's comment.
    As far as I can make out WHL comes from China. I do not, nor will I ever, speak Chinese. I will never travel to China and the only contact that I will ever have with Chinese people is in my local restaurant. WHL is learning English, but there is a lot more to a language than just words. An immersion into western culture is often necessary. Perhaps WHL learned more from my outburst than we realise.
    No offence WHL! It's just that western women consider ourselves equal (if different) from western men. And we are most certainly interested in politics!

whl626 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

In fact, I am from Malaysia, a Muslim nation. I am curious why I put my nationality in the signing up but it doesn't show up in my profile. Probably I was just absent-minded that I actually didn't type in.

To tell you the truth, what makes me think along this line :) I was being reprimanded for several times bringing political issues in the chat rooms. Some women called me a total ' bore ' :) And when I had conversation with friends over messengers about their country leaders. They either steer away from it or bring up other issues

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In fact, I am from Malaysia, a Muslim nation. I am curious why I put my nationality in the signing up but it doesn't show up in my profile. Probably I was just absent-minded that I actually didn't type in.
    I had the experience of corresponding with another Malaysian gentleman once (on another forum). (I was, as I recall, trying to help him write a business letter.) I am sure I would like to learn more about Malaysia.

You can edit your profile any time you wish by clicking on Profile.

To tell you the truth, what makes me think along this line :) I was being reprimanded for several times bringing political issues in the chat rooms. Some women called me a total ' bore ' :) And when I had conversation with friends over messengers about their country leaders. They either steer away from it or bring up other issues
    Some people just don't like to talk about politics. That is probably largely because people often get quite emotional about such issues.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, I am from Malaysia, a Muslim nation.

To tell you the truth, what makes me think along this line :) I was being reprimanded for several times bringing political issues in the chat rooms.
    The people you'll meet here, in this forum, will be very different from those in chatrooms. Besides, it's best not to generalise about people, unless you want to get into trouble (as I sometimes like to ;)

Nice to hear from you whl626 :)
    Iain

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Politics fascinates some and bores others. I love it. However, it is something people feel strongly about and often causes arguments. BTW, I'm an anarchist.

whl626 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

" Anarchist " :). I know the word ' anarchy ' so by analogy I think you mean you enjoy in the heated debates or else ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast