Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Franklin D. Roosevelt was the first President to understand fully the great force of radio ----------------------- for taking government policies directly to the people.
(A) and the opportunity it provided
(B) it provided and the opportunity
(C) and the opportunity provided it
(D) provided it the opportunity

The correct answer is A. Please explain why that in A (and the opportunity that it provided ) was omitted. As I know, we can omit that when two independent clauses share the same subject. However, in this sentence two clauses have different subject.
Thanks in advance.

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Franklin D. Roosevelt was the first President to understand fully the great force of radio ----------------------- for taking government policies directly to the people.
(A) and the opportunity it provided
(B) it provided and the opportunity
(C) and the opportunity provided it
(D) provided it the opportunity

The correct answer is A. Please explain why that in A (and the opportunity that it provided ) was omitted. As I know, we can omit that when two independent clauses share the same subject. However, in this sentence two clauses have different subject.
Thanks in advance.
(Not a teacher)
It (the radio:subject) provided (verb) the great force and opportunity (object).
Grammatically, that can be omitted if it stands for the object as shown in your sentence. (i.e. ...the great force and opportunity(that) it provided)

Status
Not open for further replies.