Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In a candy convention, the vendor says:
"This is the American idol pop mike (it has "American Idol" written on it) It's a lollipop top. It's got the bubble gum in the bottom"

Actually, I googled for "pop mike," there was no pop character as "pop mike"

Also all the script is in caps letters so I dont' know if it's a name or what?

The whole sentence seems weird to me!! What does she mean by
"This is the American idol pop mike"??

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"This is the American idol pop mike (it has "American Idol" written on it) It's a lollipop top. It's got the bubble gum in the bottom"

Thanks

I would assume that she was using "mike" as the abbreviation for microphone. So it was a pop mike - a microphone used for pop music, and somehow branded with the American Idol logo.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't heard of the term 'pop mike' - but this could be a dialect thing; I hadn't heard of a 'pop quiz' until a few years ago. So I'd better leave this thread open to speakers of Am English.

But it could be relevant that Pop Idol is the name of a talent contest (which may be the UK version of something called 'American Idol'...;-?)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't heard of the term 'pop mike' - but this could be a dialect thing; I hadn't heard of a 'pop quiz' until a few years ago. So I'd better leave this thread open to speakers of Am English.

But it could be relevant that Pop Idol is the name of a talent contest (which may be the UK version of something called 'American Idol'...;-?)

b

UK's Pop Idol was first - American Idol is the US version. I'm only hazarding a guess at the use of the word "mike" in my reply. However, it seems likely that a sweet that has a lollipop shape at the top and a bubblegum at the bottom of the handle could well be shaped like a microphone, and that would fit perfectly with the American Idol theme.

You hadn't heard of a pop quiz until a few years ago?!! Where have you been for the last 30 years? :-D

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I would assume that she was using "mike" as the abbreviation for microphone. So it was a pop mike - a microphone used for pop music, and somehow branded with the American Idol logo.

It's the first time to know that "mike" is an abbrv. for "microphone" bec i've always known it as "mic." So thanks a lot.

Second, Is there a certain mic for pop music??? how is that?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Does "American Idol" here is the name of a company since it's a product and we're not talking about the program?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does "American Idol" here is the name of a company since it's a product and we're not talking about the program?

American Idol isn't a company, though it could be said to be a brand these days, as it's so famous. But in the context of the candy, it's an "American Idol-style pop mike" I would say.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks

The spokesperson's company has created a hard candy on a stick (similar to a lollipop) that is shaped to look like a microphone. The confection will have the American Idol logo printed on the wrapper. Instead of just hard candy (like a traditional lollipop), there is a bit of bubblegum enclosed at the bottom of the lollipop. (So after the customer licks all the hard candy away from the lollipop, he will encounter a piece of bubble gum.)

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks a lot for the links. That was so helpful :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.