Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 13
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Quick question on ellipsis.

    Would it be right to say that there is ellpisis in this sentence (am still slightly confused as to how it fully works) :

    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After that, we made an offer on the house.


    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After [we got] that [mortgage], we made an offer on the house.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    ----- I am not an English teacher -----

    Quote Originally Posted by sophiehhrr View Post
    Would it be right to say that there is ellpisis in this sentence (am still slightly confused as to how it fully works) :

    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After that, we made an offer on the house.


    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After [we got] that [mortgage], we made an offer on the house.
    I think we usually don't make an offer on a house, I mean, not directly. We make an offer of something related to a house. That is the reason previously (http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-sentence.html) I suggested something along the lines:

    After that, we made a [rent] offer on the house.
    After that, we made a [payment] offer on the house.

    Or something like that. My English is not that good, so if you help me find the correct word ...

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,161
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by sophiehhrr View Post
    Would it be right to say that there is ellpisis in this sentence (am still slightly confused as to how it fully works) :

    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After that, we made an offer on the house.


    We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After [we got] that [mortgage], we made an offer on the house.
    It's not an ellipsis, because "that" is not 'that mortgage'. "that" refers to 'getting the mortgage'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,161
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    ----- I am not an English teacher -----

    I think we usually don't make an offer on a house, ,
    Yes, we do. It means an offer to buy the house.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Yes, we do. It means an offer to buy the house.
    Yes, 2006. I understand that. But what I was trying to say is that when we make an offer on the house there is something implicit, an offer of something (money or whatever).

    Do you claim in sophiehhrr's original example there is no ellipsis at all?

  1. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    My suggestion is that there's no ellipsis since "that" is substituting "mortage....".

    I'd ask Raymott

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    We got a mortgage from the cheapest [house] lender.
    After that, we made a [rent] offer on the house.
    What is wrong with these ideas?

    After that, we made a [payment] offer for the house.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,557
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    In the process of buying a house, you make an offer to the current owners.

    They may or may not accept your offer. You don't make any payments until after you have bought the house -- and there is no house to buy if the current owners don't accept your offer.

    You can't actually get a mortgage before you have identified the specific house, but you can be qualified by the lender to have the mortgage. In such a simple example, you don't need these differences.

    If you made an offer without first getting qualified, and they accepted your offer, you may find the bank doesn't think you are good credit risks and not loan you the money. Now you have made a contract to buy a house that you cannot pay for.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    In the process of buying a house, you make an offer to the current owners.

    They may or may not accept your offer. You don't make any payments until after you have bought the house -- and there is no house to buy if the current owners don't accept your offer.

    You can't actually get a mortgage before you have identified the specific house, but you can be qualified by the lender to have the mortgage. In such a simple example, you don't need these differences.

    If you made an offer without first getting qualified, and they accepted your offer, you may find the bank doesn't think you are good credit risks and not loan you the money. Now you have made a contract to buy a house that you cannot pay for.
    Thanks Barb_D, things get clearer now.
    So the 'lender' is the bank or the institution who is going to lend you the money, right? So my suggestion below is clearly incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    We got a mortgage from the cheapest [house] lender.
    And now I reckon the house is being sold, not rented. So I change my suggestion to:

    We got a mortgage from the cheapest [mortgage] lender.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Quick question on ellipsis.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    We got a mortgage from the cheapest [mortgage] lender.
    Does it make any sense now ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] A quick question regarding the subject of a sentence. Thanks guys.
    By richuk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2010, 17:04
  2. quick question - horizon
    By jirikoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2008, 01:29
  3. Quick question about "i usen't be"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2007, 00:45
  4. quick question
    By Unregistered 1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-May-2006, 10:06
  5. quick question
    By Nader75 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2006, 16:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •