• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Excerpts from newspaper

Take the latest controversy between what Chuck Guite now says about Paul Martin interfering with a sponsership contract, and what Martin says. Guite, the bureaucrat who ran the sponsership program, testified this week he once heard, third hand, that Martin, while finance minister, authorized a plan to guarantee government work for a Liberal-friendly ad firm.
    Unfortunately, for the rest of us, he gave as his shource on this his successor, Pierre Tremblay, who is now dead.
    I usually have little difficulty understanding the structure of sentences. Even when I'm stuck with idioms, phrases or words, most of the time I know whether sentences themselves sound right or not.

This time I'm stuck with the structure - take a look at the boldened part of the sentence. I'm pretty sure what it means is this: that the info Chuck Guite heard about the prime minister Paul Martin is from Pierre Tremblay, who is rotting in the grave, and it's unfortunate because the rest of us, outsiders, won't have the chance to know what really went on between those people. (The truth is buried with the dead, type of deal I guess?)

But the words in the original sentence doesn't quite connect each other.

He 'gave' 'as his source on this' 'his successor',...

after reading the sentence many times with frustration, this is how I would divide the sentence, but... arrrrgh, I don't even now how I should be asking the question. Though I seem to get the meaing of the sentence it doesn't really dawn on me as one whole sentence, you know what I mean? Can you help me with this? If you don't understand what I'm asking about I'll leave the answer at your discretion. Thanks again!
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 06-May-2005 at 23:26.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Excerpts from newspaper

Martin was replaced as a minister by Tremblay, who has since died. However, before dying he gave the imnformation to Martin, which Martin has divulged and this is unfortunate for the rest of us because we can't check the facts with a man who's dead.

Does that help?

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exerpts from newspaper

Perhaps I should provide more background information (to the extent I know) to help you understand my question better.

Paul Martin is the current prime minister of Canada. (Which is quite unfortunate) He was the former finance minister.

He and his Liberal lackeys managed to funnel through million of tax dollars into their own fruad sponsorship program, which, according to Chuck Guite, had been treated like the Liberal's piggy bank. And it seems, that according to other similar articles about the same issue, Pierre Tremblay was Chuck Guite's successor. (I had no idea who or what he was til now)

I guess the part of what I'm trying to ask is, does the sentence look correct to you?

Unfortunately, for the rest of us, he gave as his source on this his successor, Pierre Tremblay, who is now dead.
    Well I guess there's no way a newspaper editorial would use sentences that look strange to natives. But the sentence structure came very odd to me. Maybe if the sentence was like this:

Unfortunately, for the rest of us, he gave his source on this to his successor, Pierre Tremblay, who is now dead.

See what I mean? I have no idea if it'll make the same sense as the original, but the structure looks and sounds correct to me now.

Maybe what I want is the grammatical explanation as to why the original sentence is correct. Maybe if I had more vocabs I would've explained the question in the manner I want. Not being able to do so, is quite frustrating.

Looking forward to more answers. Again, your works are enormously appreciated. Thank you, very much.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 07-May-2005 at 17:02.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exerpts from newspaper

That's changing the meaning- the dead man was the source, in yours the dead man received the name of the source. The sentence looks OK to me, though I wouldn't put a comma after 'unfortunately'.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. It reads like this to me: Chuck Guite gave the name of the person who succeeded him, Pierre Tremblay, as his source on the hearsay.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

That's how I read it- he named a dead man, who obviously can't confirm this.

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian politics. . . (hehe) As always, thanks, tdol.