nobody Guest

HK English exam paper

This essay was used by the Hong Kong Examination this year to ask the candidate to proofread. Do you think it is too difficult for English learners at the grade of high school to make his essay perfect?

I tried to make my first move on revising the first two sentences. I hope others non-native English speakers do the rest in order to make this essay becoming more idiomatic expression.

I’m a 31-year-old Dutch guy, was married and have a little son at age of three. I collected comic books since I was about 6 years old and stopped when I was about twenty-nine. Due to my great interest in computer, I stopped buying comic books and so at present my main hobby is computer.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HK English exam paper

I'm not sure whether 'was married' is right without more context. I'd default to 'am'.

I'd change the opening of the secomd sentence to:
    I started collecting comics when I was six...

I think I'd use 'because of instead of 'due to'
    my interest in computer- use the plural or 'computing'
    my main hobby is computer- computing

Hong Kong Chinese Guest

Re: the whole article

Hi! Everyone, Long time no see!

Here is the whole thing:
    Ok, since I'm one of the first here, I'll go first on this one.
    I'm a 31 year old Dutch guy, married and a little son of 3 years old.
    I have collected comics from when I was 6 or so (Dutch ones that is) up to my 29th or somewhere around that. Now it's kind of over with buying comics and it has all to do with my interest in computers, it has taken over and is my main hobby now. And of course being a dad is also an issue, I don't have the time to read that much anymore and the money is also an issue. I spent some 500 dollars a month on comics and when I think about it, it was way too much . But it was a blast.
    When I was 18 I started collecting the American comics. I helped a comic book store out when they got the possibility to order American comics, of which they knew almost nothing and in doing became quite close with these people and had access to a lot of cool stuff because of that. Difficult issues were for me first and I never missed something because another guy was faster in the store than me. Also a lot of promo material came my way, always cool.
    The collecting got way out of hand and now I have a room filled with comics, the amount far exceeds the 20 000.
    I also have an original drawing of Wolverine made by Jim Lee, when he was on tour in the Netherlands, back in 1995. WAY COOL.
    I collected almost anything Marvel published, a lot of Dc, a lot of Image, Valiant, Defiant, Dark horse, Tekno, Elfquest, London night, Verotik, Caliber, Harris, Chaos and a whole slew of other cool independants.

Some day I will return to collecting, to a much lesser extent than before, but return I will, there are some titles I really miss, especially my favourite, Batman.

Ok, I'll give the word to you now, I always like to hear from others who collect or have collected in the past.

Source Link: http://forum.comicfreakz.net/phpBB/v...rum=12&start=0

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the whole article

I'm on my way out, so I'll start and have a look at the rest when I get back.

And of course being a dad is also an issue, I don't have the time to read that much anymore and the money (I'd delete 'the') is also an issue. I spent some 500 dollars a month on comics and when I think about it, it was way too much . But it was a blast.

When I was 18 I started collecting the American comics. I helped a comic book store out when they got the possibility (opportunity? when they were allowed to??) to order American comics,