Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    nado92 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default tiring or amazing?

    choose
    I think it is absolutely....that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    a- surprising
    b-tiring
    c-unusual
    d- amazing

    The given answer is 'amazing' but i see 'tiring is fine too.

    what about you?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,849
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by nado92 View Post
    choose
    I think it is absolutely....that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    a- surprising
    b-tiring
    c-unusual
    d- amazing

    The given answer is 'amazing' but i see 'tiring is fine too.

    what about you?

    Thanks in advance
    No. Whilst it is true that it probably is very tiring to climb a mountain without oxygen, you wouldn't attach "absolutely" to "tiring". Things are tiring, very tiring, really tiring, extremely tiring. If you were going to express your opinion about people climbing mountains, you would say something like "I think it must be very tiring to climb mountains without oxygen".

  3. #3
    nado92 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No. Whilst it is true that it probably is very tiring to climb a mountain without oxygen, you wouldn't attach "absolutely" to "tiring". Things are tiring, very tiring, really tiring, extremely tiring. If you were going to express your opinion about people climbing mountains, you would say something like "I think it must be very tiring to climb mountains without oxygen".
    In short we can't use tiring because of absolutely?

    .

  4. #4
    Amigos4's Avatar
    Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by nado92 View Post
    In short we can't use tiring because of absolutely?

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by nado92 View Post
    choose
    I think it is absolutely....that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    a- surprising
    b-tiring
    c-unusual
    d- amazing

    The given answer is 'amazing' but i see 'tiring is fine too.

    what about you?

    Thanks in advance
    Nado, try the sentence without using the word 'absolutely':

    a) I think it is surprising that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    b) I think it is tiring that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    c) I think it is unusual that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    d) I think it is amazing that people climb mountains without oxygen.

    Which sentence does not sound correct to you??????

  5. #5
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,849
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by nado92 View Post
    In short we can't use tiring because of absolutely?

    .
    In short, yes! That was certainly what gave it away to me. In fact, amazing was the only word in the list with which you could really use "absolutely".

  6. #6
    nado92 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Nado, try the sentence without using the word 'absolutely':

    a) I think it is surprising that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    b) I think it is tiring that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    c) I think it is unusual that people climb mountains without oxygen.
    d) I think it is amazing that people climb mountains without oxygen.

    Which sentence does not sound correct to you??????
    I see them all fine.

  7. #7
    nado92 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In short, yes! That was certainly what gave it away to me. In fact, amazing was the only word in the list with which you could really use "absolutely".
    Thanks.
    What is the problem with absolutely?

  8. #8
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    ***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

    Quote Originally Posted by nado92 View Post
    Thanks.
    What is the problem with absolutely?
    Well, when you know something for sure, absolutely is fine, but when you guess, it might not be ungrammatical but illogical.

  9. #9
    ratóncolorao is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    In case it may help:

    Absolutely:

    used for adding force to a strong adjective which is not usually used with 'very', or to a verb expressing strong emotion It's absolutely impossible to work with all this noise.
    The food was absolutely disgusting/delicious.
    I absolutely loathe/adore jazz

    Would you say It is very tiring or it is very amazing?


    Neither a teacher nor a native English speaker.

  10. #10
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: tiring or amazing?

    I have a totally different opinion about this.

    Yes, "absolutely tiring" is not a normal combination, but that's not the point.

    The writer is referring to the effect that the knowledge that people climb mountains has on him/her.

    I do not get tired hearing that someone else ran a marathon.
    It is tiring TO run a marathon.
    It is not tiring TO ME to hear that people run a marathon.

    I may be surprised to hear people enjoy running marathons, but I'm not tired to hear it.

    Rewrite the original sentences as "It is absolutely ____ to me" instead of "I think it is absolutely ____" and this becomes even more clear.

    It is absolutely surprising to me that
    It is absolutely tiring to me that
    It is absolutely unusual to me that
    It is absolutely amazing to me that
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] tired / tiring
    By yun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2009, 17:34
  2. tiring, tired
    By WUKEN in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2009, 09:13
  3. Fabulous , Fantastic , Wonderful , Amazing
    By omid2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2008, 15:15
  4. Amazing friend
    By shanz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2008, 17:34
  5. amazing grace
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2007, 13:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •