Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Which is correct?

    Thank you.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 28,909
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiaruchan View Post
    Which is correct?

    Thank you.
    The first, in my opinion. Having said that, the last time I was in a courtroom, no-one said "please". The bailiff (or court clerk) simply said "All rise" when the judge entered the courtroom.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The first, in my opinion. Having said that, the last time I was in a courtroom, no-one said "please". The bailiff (or court clerk) simply said "All rise" when the judge entered the courtroom.
    That is what I think too. But I heard earlier today a Chinese host say 'Please all rise', which I don't think is correct.

    The event was the Shanghai Expo opening ceremony, where the host said it in English asking all to stand up in response to kind of anthem playing thing.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 28,909
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiaruchan View Post
    That is what I think too. But I heard earlier today a Chinese host say 'Please all rise', which I don't think is correct.

    The event was the Shanghai Expo opening ceremony, where the host said it in English asking all to stand up in response to kind of anthem playing thing.
    To be honest "Please, all rise" isn't exactly wrong, it just doesn't sound as good as the other way round. If the sentence were longer, then it would be a different story:

    Please, all rise for the national anthem of ........ etc.

    But as a short, 3-word phrase, I think "All rise, please" simply sounds neater.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    To be honest "Please, all rise" isn't exactly wrong, it just doesn't sound as good as the other way round. If the sentence were longer, then it would be a different story:

    Please, all rise for the national anthem of ........ etc.

    But as a short, 3-word phrase, I think "All rise, please" simply sounds neater.

    Does it have to be a pause after 'please'?

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 28,909
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiaruchan View Post
    Does it have to be a pause after 'please'?
    To me, yes! It's a little different from saying "Please do this right now" where you wouldn't necessarily pause. When you're inviting someone to do something in a rather polite way, I would pause slightly after please. I'm sure other people here will disagree with me and say there is no pause and therefore no comma needed.

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,165
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: All rise, please./ Please all rise.

    I think "Would you please all rise for..." or "And now let us all rise for..." sounds more familiar, but I agree that with the pause, it doesn't sound abnormal.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. in thrall of the, middle kingdom's meteoric rise
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2009, 05:34
  2. gives rise to
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Apr-2009, 05:36
  3. rise to the moment
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2008, 15:20
  4. Meeting at rise of moon
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2004, 04:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •