Issues Arabic students may face in learning English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadeem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everybody,
My name is Sadeem, I am a new member here. I have a research paper that based on the Issues that Arabic students may face in learning English. If you have any suggestion please I would be more than happy to read it. Also, I need some references in regarding to this topic, our Prof ask for at least 7 references, and I do not have any :(.

Thank you in advance

ICAL_Pete

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi everybody,
My name is Sadeem, I am a new member here. I have a research paper that based on the Issues that Arabic students may face in learning English. If you have any suggestion please I would be more than happy to read it. Also, I need some references in regarding to this topic, our Prof ask for at least 7 references, and I do not have any :(.

Thank you in advance

The problems fall into 3 main categories. Pronunciation, style and grammar.

With pronunciation one of the main problems is with the bilabial plosives /p/ and /b/ which need to be explained and demonstrated to Arabic learners.

In terms of style there are a number of issues, not least of which is Arabic making less distinction between descriptive and creative writing; a scientific paper in English is purely descriptive whilst in Arabic it can be full of purple prose.

Finally there are issues where tenses in the two languages do not correspond both in meaning and usage.

There are some ideas here: Arabic - the ICAL TEFL wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.