[General] What is important to you when learning English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBA2010

Member Type
Academic
Hello everyone. First off, my name is Jessica and I am new to this forum. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area for this topic. If not, keep reading! :)

I am in the process of starting up a language school in northern Germany, where very few English language schools exist, and those which do exist, are mostly large franchised options. I would like to know exactly what is important to others when learning English as a foreign language. Please answer the following questions below. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

1.) Do you prefer to "learn by the book" or have a teacher with creative teaching methods?

2.) How much are you willing to spend every month for language lessons?

3.) Do you prefer private lessons or working with small or large groups?

4.) Which English topics are most important/interesting to you?

5.) How far are you willing to travel to English lessons, if at all?

6.) Is it important for you to "feel at home" when attending lessons?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone. First off, my name is Jessica and I am new to this forum. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area for this topic. If not, keep reading! :)

I am in the process of starting up a language school in northern Germany, where very few English language schools exist, and those which do exist, are mostly large franchised options. I would like to know exactly what is important to others when learning English as a foreign language. Please answer the following questions below. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

1.) Do you prefer to "learn by the book" or have a teacher with creative teaching methods?
If the teacher happens to be really a professional in the art of language teaching I would rather rely on his creative teaching methods. But such professionals are indeed very rare. If that is not the case than I would be happy to use a professional ESL material during the classes, not just the book but a complete set (audio/video material, extra activities, teacher's book and so on).

About $40.00 or $50.00 per month but that really depends on the quality of the lessons.

If the teacher is a native one I may prefer private lessons, otherwise small groups.
Both private and small group lessons have pros and cons, depending on what you are focusing.

Linguistics in general, grammar and literature.

Up to 110 km.

yep
y

mbmmbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everyone. First off, my name is Jessica and I am new to this forum. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area for this topic. If not, keep reading!

1.) Do you prefer to "learn by the book" or have a teacher with creative teaching methods? I prefer to learn by the audio not only the book.

Below $50.00

I'm prefer working with small groups for connection purpose.

Learn real english most important for me

I'm not sure.

Yup

Try it now. Lean forward. Put your shoulders forward. Put your chin down. Look down. Put your body into a tired position, notice how you feel. Now let’s change it. Pull your shoulders back and your chest up. Bring your chin up. Bring your eyes up. Look up. And now, even if you don’t feel happy, I want you to smile really big. Put a big smile on your face, fake it. Look stupid. Okay, so a big smile, shoulders back, chest up, eyes up and a big stupid smile, a big grin, on your face. Do you feel differently now? You probably do.

So here’s what I want you to do. Every time you listen to these lessons or any English lessons or any kind of English studying, I want you to first change your body. Before you listen to those lessons and while you’re listening, I want you to think about, consciously think about pulling your shoulders back, pushing your chest up, chin up, eyes up, and make yourself smile. You probably didn’t smile much in your English classes when you were younger but this time I want you to smile even if you feel like you are being stupid. It doesn’t matter, do it.

You’re going to change your body and by changing your body you’re going to feel better, you’re going to have more energy. And when you have more energy, when you feel better, you learn faster. There’s a lot of research about this. And it shows that people who have more energy, who are feeling good emotionally, learn faster. People who are tired and bored learn much more slowly.

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
COMMUNICATION!

Status