Thread: help me please

kay Guest

Exclamation help me please

Please correct my answers
    What is the proper modal should we use for this sentences,and please fill the blank
    1. The baby is only a year old, but she (say,already)….a few words
    2. In the US, elementary education is compulsory. All children (attend) are attend six years of elementary school.
    3. There was a long line in front of the theater. We (wait) may wait almost an hour to buy our tickets
    4. Microwave ovens make cooking fast and easy. If you have a microwave, you (cook) will cook/can cook in five minutes.
    5. Pay attention to your muscles. When they are tight,take a few long deep breaths. Deep breaths (be) must be/can be very relaxing
    6. I am sleepy. I (keep,not) should not keep my eyes open . I (go) must go to bed before I fall asleep right here.
    7. In my country, a girl and a boy (go,not) must not go/can not go out on a date without a chaperone.
    8. This none of his business. He (stick,not) should not/must not stick his nose into other people’s business.
    9. A: why didn’t you come to the party last night?
    B: I (study)….
    10. A:The phone is ringing again.Let’s not answer it. Just let it ring.
    B: No we (answer) must/should answer it. It could /must be something important.
    11. It’s like not Tony be late. He (be) was supposed to be/was be here an hour ago.
    12. The teacher called on Sam in the class yesterday,but he kept looking out the window n didn’t respond. He (daydream) must have been daydreaming/must have daydreamt.
    13. A: did you enjoy the movie last night?
    B: It was okay but I (stay) should have stayed at home and (watch) watched TV.

these sentences are incorrect please correct the faults
    1. During class the students must to sit quietly. When the students have questions they must to rise their hands.
    2. When you send for the brochure, you should included a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
    3. A film director must has control over every aspect of a movie
    4. many students would rather to study on their own than going to classes.

Put the appropriate preposition
    1. He never argues…his wife
    2. I would like to check this book… what should I do?( in the library)
    3. What brought … your decisions to quit your present job
    4. When did you get… home
    5. A: I’m trying to find yesterday’s newspaper Have you seen it?
    B: I’m afraid I threw it…I thought you had finished reading it

And my last question, is past future exist?please explain to me
    thank you very much
    Last edited by kay; 08-May-2005 at 14:37.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help me please

Kay, you should try answering first, then we can look at your answers- just giving you the answers won't help you much. I could tell you that the first is 'can say', but does that help you understand. You try, then we'll help.

The past future, or future in the past, does exist. It is used to tlak about things that are past now, but were in the future at the time:

He knocked on the door wondering who would open it.

Here, the man was at the door, but 'who would open' refers to a time that was in the future to him then.

kay Guest

Please correct my answers
    What is the proper modal should we use for this sentences
    1.The baby is only a year old, but she (say,already) has already been able to say a few words
    2.In the US, elementary education is compulsory. All children (attend) must attend six years of elementary school.
    3.There was a long line in front of the theater. We (wait) may wait almost an hour to buy our tickets
    4.Microwave ovens make cooking fast and easy. If you have a microwave, you (cook) can cook in five minutes.
    5.Pay attention to your muscles. When they are tight,take a few long deep breaths. Deep breaths (be) must be very relaxing
    6.I am sleepy. I (keep,not) can not keep my eyes open . I (go) must go to bed before I fall asleep right here.
    7.In my country, a girl and a boy (go,not) must not go out on a date without a chaperone.
    8.This none of his business. He (stick,not) should not stick his nose into other peopleís business.
    9.A: why didnít you come to the party last night?
    B: I (study) had to study
    10.A:The phone is ringing again.Letís not answer it. Just let it ring.
    B: No we (answer) should answer it. It could be something important.
    11.Itís like not Tony be late. He (be) was to be here an hour ago.
    12.The teacher called on Sam in the class yesterday,but he kept looking out the window n didnít respond. He (daydream) must have daydreamt.
    13.A: did you enjoy the movie last night?
    B: It was okay but I (stay) should have stayed at home and (watch) watched TV.

Correct the false
    1.During class the students must to(without to) sit quietly. When the students have questions they must to rise(raise) their hands.
    2.When you send for the brochure, you should included(include) a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
    3.A film director must has(without has) control over every aspect of a movie
    4.Many students would rather to study on their own than going(go) to classes.

Preposition
    1.He never argues for his wife
    2.I would like to check this book out What should I do?( in the library)
    3.What brought up your decisions to quit your present job
    4.When did you get in home
    5.A: Iím trying to find yesterdayís newspaper Have you seen it?
    B: Iím afraid I threw it away I thought you had finished reading it

Iím sorry , actually I have done it but Iím not sure with my answer because preferring modals and similar expression are little bit confusing. And thanks for your correction

Best regards

Post Thanks / Like

1. has already been able to say
    Try something less wordy. What about "can"?

3. There was a long line in front of the theater. We (wait) may wait almost an hour to buy our tickets
    Notice the tense is past. Change "may" to _______.

5.Pay attention to your muscles. When they are tight,take a few long deep breaths. Deep breaths (be) must be very relaxing.
    "must" is not a form of be. Pick one of these words: is, was, are, were. . .

11. Itís like not Tony be late. He (be) was to be here an hour ago.
    You could also add in 'supposed to', like this, he was supposed to be here. You could also use, he should have been here.

12. The teacher called on Sam in the class yesterday,but he kept looking out the window ann didnít respond. He (daydream) must have daydreamt.
    Try, he must have been daydreaming.

1. During class the students must to(without to) sit quietly. When the students have questions they must to rise(raise) their hands.
    Try again.

2.When you send for the brochure, you should included(include) a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
    "include" is the correct form.

3.A film director must has(without has) control over every aspect of a movie
    Try again.

4.Many students would rather to study on their own than going(go) to classes.
    "go" is correct, but 'rather to study" is not.

The following are incorrect.
    Preposition
    1.He never argues for his wife
    3.What brought up your decisions to quit your present job
    4.When did you get in home