Teaching English to spanish children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello there guys.

I have just joined this forum, it seems a very good place to get tips and advice.:-D

I am a native English living in spain [ Madrid ] and I am going to start teaching the local Spanish children English. I have the first group this thursday and another on saturday the first ones are children aged around 9 years, and the ones on saturday are around 5 years, there will be 5 or 6 in each group.

I know it probably won't be easy because it's my first time..:-? But I have been surfing the net for tips and advice and found lots of Information. I would love any advice you guys could give me for planning my first lessons..?

I have downloaded quite a few things to use:

Nursery rhymes in audio.

Cartoons like gogo and others.

Flash cards [ some from my program I use for my spanish ]

Work sheets [ for the 9 years of age group ]

I am thinking on some games to use but any tips on some good ones would be great.

Are these Good Ideas guys..? If you could help me with your own experiences it would be great Thanks.

David.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My English teachers used to teach us with cartoons, and songs (like:"head, shoulders, knees and toes...). I remember they had pairing games we used to play. And they also taught colours by making us colour drawings. They also gave us sweets if we got it right :-D.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Madrid, btw.

Daveyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you for your advice MASM, I think I need to do various things in the class to keep their attention, I know the level of English will very low for the age group of 5 years.

Which level of English would you put the age group of 9 years of age in..? They will probably know the numbers and alpabet and maybe the days of the week..? would the basic verbs be too advanced for them..? Thanks.

Yes I like it here in Madrid Thankyou.:-D

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think they can cope with basic verbs, you can use flashcards and games (Simos says...).
I've found two webpages with resources for Spanish Primary Education for you. I don't know how fluent you are in Spanish, but you can use the links as a guide.

Inglés en Primaria
Inglés para Educación Primaria.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

xxx

Daveyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you very much MASM, I have put those links in my favorites.

I am very far from fluent in spanish, I am still learning it. The spanish language is not easy...hahaa, but slowly but surely I will get there..!! Muchas Gracias

Daveyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Well I did my first class on thursday, everything went pretty well I think. :) There was one extra child so I had 7 in the group..!!

I was a little nervous, especially on the days coming up to the first class, but once there I was ok. I started off asking there names and everyone of them knew how to say " my name is ...." So I wrote there names down [ playing dumb ] I asked them to spell their names but with the English alphabet, they did pretty well..!!

We moved on to some flashcards [ Too many I think ] I sensed that a few of them were feeling a little frustrated, because of the looks on their faces, they were saying " oh oh I know " but they could not remember them. I told them not to worry and " You guys will learn them soon ".

So I thought right boost up their confidence and go with some Animal flash cards. hahha, you should of seen the arms up in the air saying " I know I know ". They did not get everyone but I was impressed with the youngest one [ aged 6 ] when I asked whats this one [ It was el Lobo ] which is The wolf in English, she said wooooffff but it was right..!!

We then played a Donimoe game where they had to count numbers. Then finished off by getting them to say " whats your name " to the next person and the next person replying, then asking the next and so on.

To say I did not really know their level of English, I think it went pretty well..!! I talked to them half in Spanish and half In English as not to frustrate them too much.

The one I have tomorrow will have just 4 children at the age of 5 years. I think I will go with the animals / practice " whats your name " " my name is...." And maybe some children songs, and the cartoons of Gogo.

I think they will love the Gogo cartoons. I am looking forward to seeing their liittle faces of joy when they get a question right..!!! :-D

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Congrats!:-D

Daveyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Congrats!:-D

Thanks MASM.

My second class went pretty good on the saturday as well, the children were a bit more hyper..hahaa, but it went pretty good.. cheers MASM. un beso.

Status
Not open for further replies.