How many objects are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terras

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which is the object of the sentence below or how many objects are there?

"Prepare for program-level enterprise and application architecture reviews"
(This sentence is from the "Net-Centric Implementation Part 1: Overview" .
The document can be viewed by searching the file "Part1_v3pt1pt0-22Dec2009.pdf".)

It seems to me that all the words after "Prepare for" is one big object ,
but it does not make any sense to me.
Is there a special usage or meaning for the words "enterprise" or "application" that would make the sentence make sense?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The problem is - as so often with technical content - a long string of abstract nouns with no clear grammatical underpinning; the writer/speaker just says 'Here are the abstract nouns; it's up to you to sort them out (and don't blame me if you get it wrong)'. Of course we should blame them!

The probable meaning is "Prepare for reviews [at all levels, ranging from reviews at] the level of programs used by individual enterprises [to reviews at the level of the] architecture [of the software designed for] applications [in the sense used by software engineers]". But I could well be wrong. That's the trouble with this sort of lazy writing. ;-)

b

Last edited:

terras

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm so glad to know that these sentences may not always be grammatically clear. Now I can go on with my studies with a little more confidence.

terras

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which is the object of the sentence below or how many objects are there?

"Prepare for program-level enterprise and application architecture reviews"
(This sentence is from the "Net-Centric Implementation Part 1: Overview" .
The document can be viewed by searching the file "Part1_v3pt1pt0-22Dec2009.pdf".)

It seems to me that all the words after "Prepare for" is one big object ,
but it does not make any sense to me.
Is there a special usage or meaning for the words "enterprise" or "application" that would make the sentence make sense?
"Prepare" doesn't have a direct object, as it would, say, in:
"Prepare me a salad", in which 'a salad' is the direct object, and 'me' is the indirect object.

"program-level enterprise and application architecture reviews" is the object of the preposition "for".

Status
Not open for further replies.