Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I always learned the American English since I started to learn English. Recently I’m planning to exchange to a university which is in the UK. As a result, I’d like to learn some British accent before I go to the UK. However, I really have no idea about the British accent. Is there any good way to learn it? Thanks.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I always learned the American English since I started to learn English. Recently I’m planning to exchange to a university which is in the UK. As a result, I’d like to learn some British accent before I go to the UK. However, I really have no idea about the British accent. Is there any good way to learn it? Thanks.

For a non native speaker to try to speak like a native generally does not sound nice. Speak the way that you have learned your English. As long as people understand what you are saying you will be fine. You will pick up certain words and nuances of the British accent when you are living there.

I am sure that for me, with a German background, to try to speak with a Chinese accent would sound silly.

I am not a teacher.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other

If you want to learn the real British Accent, I think you need to prepare a talking dictionary with UK pronunciation and watch the following TV series and hear each word they pronounce and try to pronounce it with your voice.

The IT Crowd, Peep Show, both of them are very popular in UK....

peepshows1.jpg

the-it-crowd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.