Randy003 Guest

Default Confuse with tense, Please help me!

I am writing an essay on my past job experience. I am not sure if my use of tense is correct, could someone please correct one of my paragraph.

The Data Center is (or was ?) where all the informationís from places like the Financial Aid office or the Adminission offices are backed up. When I was there the center has about 20 backup machines and one of my main duties is to replace backup disks when the disks are full. The Data Center is also responsible for supporting the campus networks and servers. When something is wrong with the network or a server, our staffs are responsible for fixing it. And so, when I was an operator, my main duty was to monitor the the system. For example, I was responsible for watching over servers like the dns server and email server. On the computer I used, I had to constantly monitor the screen that showed the name of each servers, and when something went wrong, a red light would blink next to that name, and my duty was to contact the proper supporting staff member and to do a log on what I had done.

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Confuse with tense, Please help me!

Hello Randy

Here's my version:

The Data Center is where all the information from places like the Financial Aid office or the Admission office is backed up. When I was there, the center had about 20 backup machines; one of my main duties was to replace backup disks when the disks were full. The Data Center was also responsible for supporting the campus networks and servers. If something was wrong with the network or a server, our staff was responsible for fixing it. Therefore when I was an operator, my main duty was to monitor the system. For example, I was responsible for the DNS server and the email server. My job involved constantly monitoring a screen that showed the names of the servers; when something went wrong, a red light would blink next to that name, and I was then responsible for contacting the appropriate member of the support staff and for producing a log of the actions I had taken.

Good luck!

MrP