Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have an interview tomorrow afternoon for a pre-sessional EAP teaching position. I'm looking for help deciphering the requirements.

In particular I need to know what 'Ability to teach a range of levels (IELTS 4.0-8.0)' means. I understand the first seven words of course (!) but I have no experience with IELTS at all. I've looked on the IELTS website, but can't find a brief spec. of what the levels mean. They'll send me a DVD*, but it's a bit late** for that!

Any ideas?

Thanks

b

PS
* Also, as it's 4 years old, I'm not sure it's worth the £15!
** I loathe these 'need help now' posts - I always think 'Fail to prepare -> Prepare to fail; tough' ;-) So... pretty please:oops:.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Band 8 are very advanced users, able to do anything- if not to the standards of accuracy of a native speaker, then close enough. They should waltz through Proficiency if they're getting that sort of grade. When I was teaching pre-sessional, 7.5 was considered enough to do a post-graduate degree in Law, though I believe there may be a bit of grade inflation going on internationally and the bar may be 8 now, but if they can cope with legal English comfortably, they can cope with pretty much anything. Science courses tended to ave lower requirements (around 6)

Band 4 are ropey intermediates and barring miracles are probably not going to make the language grade for most courses.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks very much. I think you're right - anyone at 8.0 probably wouldn't bother with the course! The University of Reading - where I'm applying - has a minimum of 6.0 for Arts/Humanities courses, and 5.5 for science courses. I imagine the course will be aimed at bringing people up to those minimum values.

Not long now... :shock:

b

Status
Not open for further replies.