Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence: "I am glad to know that you have added four new anti-virus participants in your test for/of the best anti-virus."

My question: Which preposition, for or of, would be correct in the sentence mentioned above ?

***My own sense is both would be correct but I'm getting confused by their meanings. That's why I'm seeking your help. So please answer this question along with the meaning that the preposition would make.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sentence: "I am glad to know that you have added four new anti-virus participants in your test for/of the best anti-virus."

My question: Which preposition, for or of, would be correct in the sentence mentioned above ?

***My own sense is both would be correct but I'm getting confused by their meanings. That's why I'm seeking your help. So please answer this question along with the meaning that the preposition would make.

Thanks
"I am glad to know that you have added four new anti-virus participants in your test for/of the best anti-virus."
Firstly, I would suggest "...to your tests...". Secondly, I would suggest "...to find the best anti-virus..." In fact I would rewrite the whole sentence.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In fact I would rewrite the whole sentence.

What about "participants"? I think, but I'm not sure a hundred percent, people participate in something, not softwares.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Anti-virus which fight the viruses are like living things (participants) too I guess. ;-)
Anti-virus software would be clear to everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.