Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Hi,

    Question:
    Should I use to deliver, on or for?

    Sentence:
    I use Excel to deliver/on/for a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .


    I want to say " I use Execl to complete those assignments"


    Thanks

  2. #2
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question:
    Should I use to deliver, on or for?

    Sentence:
    I use Excel to deliver/on/for a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .


    I want to say " I use Execl to complete those assignments"


    Thanks
    (Not a teacher)
    Deliver is a transitive verb, so no preposition is required, such as delivering a speech, lecture or address.

    Alternatively, you may also consider using "present, hand over" to replace deliver.

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question:
    Should I use to deliver, on or for?

    Sentence:
    I use Excel to deliver/on/for a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .


    I want to say " I use Execl to complete those assignments"


    Thanks
    "deliver on something" doesn't sound very formal to me, but it is the correct form if you choose to use it, and might be used in some Project Management circles.
    Why not just use "complete"?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Personally, I would have gone with "for".

    Q - What program do you use for word processing?
    A - I use Word for word processing.

    Q - What program do you use for profit analysis assignments?
    A - I use Excel for...........

    Simple, and means the same thing.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 15-May-2010 at 11:05.

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "deliver on something" doesn't sound very formal to me, but it is the correct form if you choose to use it, and might be used in some Project Management circles.
    Why not just use "complete"?
    Sorry, I misread you. I thought you wanted "deliver on" or "deliver for"
    I agree, "for" is best.

  6. #6
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Sorry, I misread you. I thought you wanted "deliver on" or "deliver for"
    I agree, "for" is best.
    i think i should say sorry
    my question is misleading
    which of the following sentence is correct?


    Sentence1:
    I use Excel to deliver a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .

    Sentence2:
    I use Excel on a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B.

    Sentence3:
    I use Excel for a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .

  7. #7
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    i think i should say sorry
    my question is misleading
    which of the following sentence is correct?


    Sentence1:
    I use Excel to deliver a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .

    Sentence2:
    I use Excel on a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B.

    Sentence3:
    I use Excel for a number of profit analysis assignments, such as assignment A, and assignment B .
    I stick with my original reply - Sentence 3 (for).

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: use Excel to deliver/on/for

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I stick with my original reply - Sentence 3 (for).
    And I've already agreed in post #5.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-May-2010, 15:42
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-May-2010, 10:07
  3. [Grammar] (outstanding) Excel proficiency
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-May-2010, 18:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •