Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Having developed these attributes

    Hi,

    Question1:

    Do I use "developed" correctly?

    Question2:
    Do I use "attributes" correctly?

    Sentence:
    I am self-motivated, able to work under pressure.
    I have good communication and time management skills.
    Having developed these attributes, I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standard.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Hi,

    It seems like it is for your resume. I would suggest not to confuse your employer with difficult or arguable statements. You can simply put it as ''With these attributes..''

    On the other hand, it is an incorrect construction of sentences.

    Secondly.. it should be 'standards' not 'standard'.

    Regards,
    Swati

  3. #3
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by swatiharmilapi View Post
    Hi,

    It seems like it is for your resume. I would suggest not to confuse your employer with difficult or arguable statements. You can simply put it as ''With these attributes..''

    On the other hand, it is an incorrect construction of sentences.

    Secondly.. it should be 'standards' not 'standard'.

    Regards,
    Swati
    Thank you for your reply.


    "an incorrect construction of sentences"

    could you please tell me more?

    "should be 'standards' not 'standard'"
    the highest standard should be singular, because only 1 standard is the highest.
    So, should be standard, not standards.
    In my opinion.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question1:

    Do I use "developed" correctly?

    Question2:
    Do I use "attributes" correctly?

    Sentence:
    I am self-motivated, able to work under pressure.
    I have good communication and time management skills.
    Having developed these attributes, I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standard.

    Thanks
    Yes, it's perfect.

    It could be standards. Your work is likely to involve more than one activity, and each of them has a standard. So there can be more than one highest standard.
    My typing is of the highest standard (for typing) and my spelling is also of the highest standard (for spelling).
    But it's a minor point - your intention is understood.

  5. #5
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, it's perfect.

    It could be standards. Your work is likely to involve more than one activity, and each of them has a standard. So there can be more than one highest standard.
    My typing is of the highest standard (for typing) and my spelling is also of the highest standard (for spelling).
    But it's a minor point - your intention is understood.
    Hi,

    Thank you. Your reply is very helpful.

    In my opinions,

    Work is uncourtbale, so I thnk I can say standard only.
    If I replace "work" by "tasks", then I can use standards, because task is courtable.



    So, there are 2 correct versions and 2 incorrect versions.

    Correct sentence1:

    "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standard."
    Correct sentence2:
    "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standards."

    Incorrect sentence1:
    "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standards."
    Incorrect sentence2:
    "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standard."


    Do you agree?

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Do you agree?
    I truly don't think it matters which you use.
    If you judge your work by a certain standard, use singular. If you try to meet standards, use the plural.

  7. #7
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I truly don't think it matters which you use.
    If you judge your work by a certain standard, use singular. If you try to meet standards, use the plural.

    All 4 sentences are correct?



    1) "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standard."

    2)
    "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standards."

    3) "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standards."

    4) "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standard."

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Having developed these attributes

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    All 4 sentences are correct?



    1) "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standard."

    2)
    "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standards."

    3) "I am always able to deliver my work to the highest standards."

    4) "I am always able to deliver my tasks to the highest standard."
    Yes.
    You can do one thing that meets standards of neatness, correctness, quality ...
    You can do several things that all work together to achieve a specific standard.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] The film in my camera was finished. I need to get it developed.
    By mcadhu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2009, 08:32
  2. [Grammar] Developed an extensive knowledge...???
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2008, 23:58
  3. to have developed, having developed
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2007, 21:29
  4. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 22:52
  5. attributes & the theatre of war
    By sunjuvo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2003, 16:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •