Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. The sentences below are from a children's book.
A girl in the story is writing a letter to a boy after she visited his place.
I don't know what the underlined part means exactly in the context. Please help!

Mammie and I loved your trees and can't imagine what Weatherly was like without them. I've never been in a place like that before - it speaks to you, doesn't it? While we were there, we didn't have to talk. It was the nicest place I've ever been.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mammie and I loved your trees and can't imagine what Weatherly was like without them. I've never been in a place like that before - it speaks to you, doesn't it? While we were there, we didn't have to talk. It was the nicest place I've ever been.

This is metaphorical/figurative language. When we say that a non-living or inanimate object (like a tree or a place) "speaks to you", it means that you get a special, positive feeling or emotion from it.

This phrase is often used to talk about art as well: "I don't like that painting; it doesn't really speak to me." This means that it creates no emotion in me when I look at it.

Does this make sense? :-?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's true that places/architecture evokes moods and feelings as if they can communicate with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.