Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default In the first year of my BSc, I received.... / I received...., In the first year of

    Hi,

    Question1:
    Do the following 2 sentences have the same meaning?
    Question2:
    Is sentence 2 better than sentence 1 ,because of fewer comma?


    Sentence1:
    For example, when I was a clerk, I was responsible for replying to emails, and in the first year of my BSc, I received 70 marks for a project about company share.

    Sentence2:
    For example, I was responsible for replying to emails when I was a clerk, and l received 70 marks for a project about company shares in the first year of my BSc.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the first year of my BSc, I received.... / I received...., In the first year o

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question1:
    Do the following 2 sentences have the same meaning?
    Question2:
    Is sentence 2 better than sentence 1 ,because of fewer comma?


    Sentence1:
    For example, when I was a clerk, I was responsible for replying to emails, and in the first year of my BSc, I received 70 marks for a project about company share.

    Sentence2:
    For example, I was responsible for replying to emails when I was a clerk, and l received 70 marks for a project about company shares in the first year of my BSc.


    Thanks
    The commas aren't a problem, but the 'sentence' is.
    It seems to be two completely unrelated sentences joined by 'and'.
    "I used to be an astronaut and I have to go to lunch now."
    You can't do that.

  3. #3
    uktous is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the first year of my BSc, I received.... / I received...., In the first year o

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The commas aren't a problem, but the 'sentence' is.
    It seems to be two completely unrelated sentences joined by 'and'.
    "I used to be an astronaut and I have to go to lunch now."
    You can't do that.
    " two completely unrelated sentences joined by 'and'."

    Thank you for your answer. It is very helpful.
    I supposed I can.


    Could you please tell me how can I join 2 unrelated sentences (using my sentence as example)?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the first year of my BSc, I received.... / I received...., In the first year o

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    " two completely unrelated sentences joined by 'and'."

    Thank you for your answer. It is very helpful.
    I supposed I can.


    Could you please tell me how can I join 2 unrelated sentences (using my sentence as example)?

    Thanks
    You don't. If it's two totally unrelated items/events, they don't belong in one sentence.

  5. #5
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the first year of my BSc, I received.... / I received...., In the first year o

    Could you please tell me how can I join 2 unrelated sentences (using my sentence as example)?
    Raymott is saying that, grammatically you can but it would be illogical or sounds silly to do so.

    not a teacher

Similar Threads

  1. year on year
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2009, 09:38
  2. The Best Time of the Year In
    By kimroeun in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2007, 16:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk