• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

please help me out with these sentences

K: And I canít get over that I was working for a terrorist organization, disguised as an eco-friendly company! I still find it hard to believe Mr. Baxton, or whatever his name really was, was one of the bad guys. He always treated me so nicely.

B: Well, thatís how they keep their cover. They canít really appear to be bad, now can they? It would be too easy to spot them out. Thatís what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust.

Is this saying "just knowing whom to trust" is the factor making their jobs so hard?

They had experienced enough shock, death, violence, and yes, adventure, to last them a long, long time.

Is the underlined part grammatically correct? And what does it mean? Those experiences will last a long time and they would probably never forget them?

Many thanks.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: please help me out with these sentences

Quote Originally Posted by iemmahu View Post
    K: And I canít get over that I was working for a terrorist organization, disguised as an eco-friendly company! I still find it hard to believe Mr. Baxton, or whatever his name really was, was one of the bad guys. He always treated me so nicely.

B: Well, thatís how they keep their cover. They canít really appear to be bad, now can they? It would be too easy to spot them out. Thatís what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust.

Is this saying "just knowing whom to trust" is the factor making their jobs so hard?

They had experienced enough shock, death, violence, and yes, adventure, to last them a long, long time.

Is the underlined part grammatically correct? And what does it mean? Those experiences will last a long time and they would probably never forget them?

Many thanks.

Okay..

For the Qs. no 1.

No. I don't think it's the saying "just knowing whom to trust." that is the factor hardening the jobs. Rather "JUST KNOWING WHOM TO TRUST" is the job that's getting hard.

The factor that's working behind hardening the job is the outer good appearances of those bad guys.

For the Qs. no. 2.

The underlined part is grammatically correct.

What I think is: -

The line is saying that they [THOSE PEOPLE] will last a long long time because of the experience they had from those shocks, deaths, violence etc.

It's not the memories of those experiences that will last for a long long time.

NOTE: - I could be wrong in both my answers because I'm still learning..

I too would like to know what experts have to say

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

K: And I can’t get over that I was working for a terrorist organization, disguised as an eco-friendly company! I still find it hard to believe Mr. Baxton, or whatever his name really was, was one of the bad guys. He always treated me so nicely.

B: Well, that’s how they keep their cover. They can’t really appear to be bad, now can they? It would be too easy to spot them out. That’s what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust.

Many thanks.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with both the previous poster's answers:

In Question 1, the answer is in the sentence you quoted: "That’s what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust." - The only thing that "that" at the beginning of the sentence could refer to is "knowing whom to trust". Whatever it is that the writer and his colleague do for a living, it is made more difficult by the fact that they don't know who they can and can't trust.

In Question 2, it is not the people who will last a long time. It's true that the memories of what they have seen will last a long time, but the phrase "to last them a lifetime" generally means that if something happens to you, you will be very happy if that thing never happens to you again as long as you live. For example:

I went parachuting once. Never again. Once was enough to last me a lifetime.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 19-May-2010 at 17:40.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks.
    1. Thatís what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust. Yes, you are right.
    2. They had experienced enough shock, death, violence, and yes, adventure, to last them a long, long time. This means that they had experienced enough of those things as to not want to experience them again for a very long time. Yes, it is correct.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with the both the previous poster's answers:

In Question 1, the answer is in the sentence you quoted: "Thatís what often makes our jobs so hard, just knowing whom to trust." - The only thing that "that" at the beginning of the sentence could refer to is "knowing whom to trust". Whatever it is that the writer and his colleague do for a living, it is made more difficult by the fact that they don't know who they can and can't trust.

In Question 2, it is not the people who will last a long time. It's true that the memories of what they have seen will last a long time, but the phrase "to last them a lifetime" generally means that if something happens to you, you will be very happy if that thing never happens to you again as long as you live. For example:

I went parachuting once. Never again. Once was enough to last me a lifetime.

WOOOW... Thanks for correcting my mistake.. The explanation you gave for Qs 1 is AWESOME.. I totally overlooked the "THAT'S WHAT OFTEN MAKES" thing...

Thank you again..

Thanks to the other answerer too...