• Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why "cannot" and not "can not"

Firstly, please explain me which are the contexts in which it is used "cannot" and which it is used "can not" That is what I have asked for since the begining.
    Secondly, once more, which are the differences between "haunting" and "haunted" I have not gotten an answer yet.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

First, if you want to emphasize it, separate it, like this,

I can NOT find my keys. (The capitals represent emphasis)

If you don't want to emphasize it, write it as one word, like this,

Formal: I cannot find my keys.
    Informal: I can't find my keys.

Click here http://www.bartleby.com/68/4/1104.html

Second, please provide us with a context for "haunting" and "haunted". What sentences are those words housed in? ^0^

eurekateam is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply!
    My teacher gave me to translete a magasine publication about Princes Diana. The title was "Daunting Diana" and I tranclated it. But the proffesor gave its own version, which would be the translation of "Haunted Diana". I remarked the MY version was right, but she said there is no difference between the two, which in turn I could not object for lack of grammar support, eventhough I am sure that my version is right.
    What I want is some grammar points related to this topic, which would provide me with facts to get the truth prevailed.
    Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like

"daunting" means, discouraging or intimidating. Princess Diana was hounded (i.e., hunted) by the press. Their pursuit of her discouraged her from doing things and going places she would otherwise do and go, and that was intimidating because her movements were subdued, or influenced by the press' moves.

As a title, "Daunting Diana" means the press was intimidating Diana and discouraging for Diana. "Haunting Diana" means the press regularly and frequently followed her; even when they weren't there physically, they were still ever-present in her mind.

"Haunting" => The press does the act of haunting and their subject is Diana. In other words, the Press is haunting Diana.

"Haunted" => Diana underwent the feelings associated with being constantly followed. In other words, she was haunted by their presence.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4