Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why would Ms. Rice say 'would'?

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    I agree. I agree with with what Tdol said after my first post here as well. There's an element of politeness involved. Ms. Rice certainly has to be careful with her words. It's better to sound speculative than too sure given the context in which she is speaking.

It all depends on context, yes. I think the tone of one's voice has something to with the actual meaning of "would" in this case as well.

politics of this magnitude - That's a good way of putting it.

Thanks.
    Well, Miss Rice is all right. In general she is a straight shooter but can anyone remember President Clinton? Boy,try figuring out his play on words or some very skillful ambiguities that he used to come up with. His sex scandal inquiry still puts a big smile on my face every time I see that on TV.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

One of Bill's that I liked was his famous 'it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is', where he showed that had he not chosen to become the president, he could have been a great discourse analyst.

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    One of Bill's that I liked was his famous 'it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is', where he showed that had he not chosen to become the president, he could have been a great discourse analyst.

That was the best, and I applaud him for it. Bill's all right. That investigation just shows how spiteful republicans and political conservatives are.

The sooner this cowboy who's in office now flies back to his ranch in Texas, the better the world will be. If he remembers to stick a pin in Dick Cheney before he leaves in order to let all the hot air out, I hope he does it in some remote location. In this way, we won't be offended by the foul smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Thanks.
    Well, Miss Rice is all right. In general she is a straight shooter but can anyone remember President Clinton? Boy,try figuring out his play on words or some very skillful ambiguities that he used to come up with. His sex scandal inquiry still puts a big smile on my face every time I see that on TV.
    You're welcome.

Yes, she's a straight shooter.

I think she's doing a good job of taking the spotlight that once belonged to Rummy the dummy.

Post Thanks / Like

That was the best, and I applaud him for it. Bill's all right. That investigation just shows how spiteful republicans and political conservatives are.

The sooner this cowboy who's in office now flies back to his ranch in Texas, the better the world will be. If he remembers to stick a pin in Dick Cheney before he leaves in order to let all the hot air out, I hope he does it in some remote location. In this way, we won't be offended by the foul smell.

Now that's what I call a zero conditional.

Post Thanks / Like

gee, I didn't expect t his thread could be this hot. It's really a pleasant surprise. Thank you all! It's very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered another 'would' again

A republican senator used 'would' when he commented on John Bolton:

"he is a kiss-up and kick-down leader, who would not tolerate those who disagree with him and who goes out of his way to retaliate for their disagreement"

I suspect that this 'would' has the same function as that said by Ms. Rice. Is it true? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peteryoung
    I discovered another 'would' again

A republican senator used 'would' when he commented on John Bolton:

"he is a kiss-up and kick-down leader, who would not tolerate those who disagree with him and who goes out of his way to retaliate for their disagreement"

I suspect that this 'would' has the same function as that said by Ms. Rice. Is it true? Thanks
    He would not tolerate them if they were to confront him or argue with him in any way. I think the implication is that he won't be confronted by them, and they won't argue with him. Therefore, "would not" is used instead of "will not".

If "he is" were "he was", then "would" would mean something that he did in the past. He would never tolerate them. He refused to.

In the present: He would never tolerate them. So they should stay away.

Post Thanks / Like

And that's coming from an American?...
    I like it, that's funny! And what if we stick that pin in Bush himself? Enough hot air to propel himself through the air like a hot air balloon:

"Look up yonder, in the sky!
    What is that I see?
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a man insane
    it's my President, GWB".

Here's one of my favorite pics with Bush and his dad.
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...bushminime.htm

That's true, Clinton is one sharp cookie and educated in Oxford he sure doesn't miss a beat when it comes to expressing himself. He is so suprisingly eloquent that I believe George W Bush could learn a thing or two from him.
    The good news is he's already gotten through My Pet Goat and it's a start after all.
    In any case, you guys have four more years of Mr Bush, I am afraid. Yeehaaw!!

Post Thanks / Like

I get it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast