Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    Dear teachers,

    Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Maugham’s “Cakes and Ale”?

    You can talk your head off about Edward Driffield, but I shall be able to getaway when I’m fed up with you!

    talk your head off = talk to your’s heart content

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards,

    V.

  2. #2
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    Sure.

  3. #3
    ~Mav~ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    Dear teachers,

    Does the following sentence: "James is a friendly guy, but he always talks his head off (i.e. speaks too much) and talks my head off." (i.e. bores me) work Or, to make it shorter: "James is a friendly guy, but he always talks his and my head off." Are these sentences (and my interpretation) correct?

  4. #4
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    All are OK.

  5. #5
    bertietheblue is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    To '[infinitive] one's head off' means to do something exuberantly ('he laughed his head off') sometimes to excess and in the case of speech to the point of tedium:

    he talked his head off = he talked my head off = he talked too much. The 2nd instance has an added suggestion of boredom on my part but you can't use the 2 on top of one another - there's too much redundancy there - unless possibly you are trying to be funny, but I don't think you'll be successful!

  6. #6
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

    Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Maugham’s “Cakes and Ale”?

    You can talk your head off about Edward Driffield, but I shall be able to getaway when I’m fed up with you!

    talk your head off = talk to your’s heart content=talk a lot, say too much with a view to change some one's mind/openion/decission.

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards,

    V.
    You can talk your head off, but I won't change my opinion.

  7. #7
    ~Mav~ is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: talk your head off = talk to your heart's content

    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    To '[infinitive] one's head off' means to do something exuberantly ('he laughed his head off') sometimes to excess and in the case of speech to the point of tedium:

    he talked his head off = he talked my head off = he talked too much. The 2nd instance has an added suggestion of boredom on my part...
    Thank you for your great explanation.


    Quote Originally Posted by bertietheblue View Post
    but you can't use the 2 on top of one another - there's too much redundancy there - unless possibly you are trying to be funny, but I don't think you'll be successful!
    You've kind of read my mind. Though I would say I wanted to imply a little sarcasm. In fact, I'm still planning to use this phrase next time I talk with a friend of mine, out of whom I probably bored the crap a couple of days ago. So I'm going to be the subject of this phrase, like this: "I'm sorry. I know I talked both my and your head off the other day". But if it doesn't convey my intended self-sarcasm, then maybe I should stick to the well-working "I talked my ass off" phrase.

Similar Threads

  1. hit the nail on the head
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2009, 03:52
  2. talk to vs talk with - speak to vs speak with
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2009, 18:15
  3. Movement of the head
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2008, 09:15
  4. we're talking, we're going to talk, we'll talk
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2007, 04:40
  5. speak or talk?
    By valemichigan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2007, 12:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •