Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Maugham’s “Cakes and Ale”?

You can talk your head off about Edward Driffield, but I shall be able to getaway when I’m fed up with you!

talk your head off = talk to your’s heart content

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure.

Reactions: vil

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Dear teachers,

Does the following sentence: "James is a friendly guy, but he always talks his head off (i.e. speaks too much) and talks my head off." (i.e. bores me) work :?: Or, to make it shorter: "James is a friendly guy, but he always talks his and my head off." Are these sentences (and my interpretation) correct?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All are OK.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To '[infinitive] one's head off' means to do something exuberantly ('he laughed his head off') sometimes to excess and in the case of speech to the point of tedium:

he talked his head off = he talked my head off = he talked too much. The 2nd instance has an added suggestion of boredom on my part but you can't use the 2 on top of one another - there's too much redundancy there - unless possibly you are trying to be funny, but I don't think you'll be successful!

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Maugham’s “Cakes and Ale”?

You can talk your head off about Edward Driffield, but I shall be able to getaway when I’m fed up with you!

talk your head off = talk to your’s heart content=talk a lot, say too much with a view to change some one's mind/openion/decission.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

You can talk your head off, but I won't change my opinion.

Reactions: vil

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
To '[infinitive] one's head off' means to do something exuberantly ('he laughed his head off') sometimes to excess and in the case of speech to the point of tedium:

he talked his head off = he talked my head off = he talked too much. The 2nd instance has an added suggestion of boredom on my part...
Thank you for your great explanation. :up:

but you can't use the 2 on top of one another - there's too much redundancy there - unless possibly you are trying to be funny, but I don't think you'll be successful!
You've kind of read my mind. :-D Though I would say I wanted to imply a little sarcasm. ;-) In fact, I'm still planning to use this phrase next time I talk with a friend of mine, out of whom I probably bored the crap a couple of days ago. :lol: So I'm going to be the subject of this phrase, like this: "I'm sorry. I know I talked both my and your head off the other day". :mrgreen: But if it doesn't convey my intended self-sarcasm, then maybe I should stick to the well-working "I talked my ass off" phrase. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.