From Caxton's "Game and Playe of the Chess"

• Thread starter Wolfespepe
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,042
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wolfespepe

"Thenne late" has got me confused of the Sentence "Thenne late euery man of what condicion he be...

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Thenne late" has got me confused of the Sentence "Thenne late euery man of what condicion he be...

'Then [probably, depending on context. = 'so'] let everyone, regardless of status...'. We use 'condition' today more to refer to physical condition (a person might be 'fit', a book might be 'dog-eared'...), but Caxton (and his contemporaries) used it to refer to social standing.

The typesetter, in writing 'late' for 'let' was probable betraying his local dialect; but in fact, as this dates from the period of the Great Vowel Shift (about 200 years of chaos) there was no guessing what he'd put. ;-)

b

Last edited:

Wolfespepe

Member Type
Academic
Thankyou BobK for a succinct and correct answer...it put me on the right track Re:Thenne "late" euery man...Yes, late=let.
from "leten" to let [ME] Then back to [Old English] laeten(læten)to allow,let....Then the conjuguation of laeten in the subjunctive was my elusive "late"meaning let ....:) Thanks again,I was too fixated :roll: on "late" being "of late(edition)" to see the forest for the trees...

Status
Not open for further replies.