Thread: please help me

pine Guest

Smile please help me

I have grasped about 10,000 words but my reading speed is still very slow.Sometime I wasn't able to finish my exam paper within the limited time. How to slove this problem. Thank you very much.

Amy Guest

Thumbs up Re: please help me

Quote Originally Posted by pine
    I have grasped about 10,000 words but my reading speed is still very slow.Sometime I wasn't able to finish my exam paper within the limited time. How to slove this problem. Thank you very much.

I think its not in grasping words but in reading regularly - to improve your 'reading speed'.

Reemani is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • United Arab Emirates
      • Current Location:
      • United Arab Emirates
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: please help me

hello,
    I believe that if you started to read things regularly as Amy said, you would be able to do waht you want. you can read short issuses and articles and count the time you will spend on it, or you can say that you will finish this article within 10 or 15 minutes. and then, you can start with the longer ones and do the same. read and count and that will improve your reading speed, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

hello my friend pine
    i'm glad to see you here , in this nice forum
    actually i have the same problem. but i also think that reading dose not depond in your knowing of all the passage's words. yes you have to know the words in order to understand the passage . but that dose not mean that you wont even know what the passage is about if you do not know all its words .
    (Bill Cosby)the well-known African-American comedian and tv star ,wrote a very nice article in our reading book . it is HOW TO READ FASTER.
    he mentioned 3 techniques i'll write them for you.
    1-preview-if it's long and hard:
    read the entirefirst two paragraphesof whatever you have chosen.next read only the first sentence of each successive paragraphe. thenread the entire last two paragraphes. previwing dose not give youall the detaills . but it dose keep you from spending time on things you don't really want or need.
    2-skim -if it's short and simple:
    think of your eyes as magnets.force them to move fast.sweep them acrosse each andevery line of type . pick up only a few key words in each line.
    3- cluster-to increase speed and comprehension:
    train your eyes to seeall the words in cluster of up to three or four words at a glnce. it takes you time to know how to .do it ferquntly and you will notice that your speed is increasing.

i hope you will succeed in it my friend,
    with my best wishes,
    salma

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Look for things like capital letters and figures, which often contain essential information.

pine Guest

thank you. salma-my good friend
    i'm very exciting at the sight of your reply here. Thank you for your good advices. it's you told me such a wonderful web or I would never come here . I believe my thinking horizons is bound to be extended with the help of so many ardent teachers here and also,you 'salma',my good friend.
    please contact me when you are free.
    I wish you a very happy future!
    pine
    Last edited by shane; 16-May-2005 at 07:54. Reason: Email removed