reception ?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,252
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

is this correct? I am wondering why the writer is not using "receptionist" in his telephone message.

Should you require immediate assistance, please contact our reception at 915-284-3633.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are correct, it should have been receptionist.

I disagree. Whilst it is obvious that the person who answers the call will be the receptionist, in hotels etc we generally simply refer to the desk.

Please call reception if you have any problems.

Please speak to reception if you require anything.

In your original quote, "our reception" is a shortened form of "our reception desk":

please contact our reception desk at 915-284-3633

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It certainly sounds better with 'reception desk' or with 'receptionist'.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree 100% with emsr2d2. Indeed I'd go further and say that in a hotel/business you'd be more likely to say:

Please contact reception (more likely without the 'our')

than

Please contact the receptionist

especially in the case of a firm of any size where 'receptionist' suggests one person at the end of the line; 'reception' suggests a whole reception desk is waiting to attend your, the customer's, needs - and which firm wants to sound smaller/less important than it is?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree 100% with emsr2d2. Indeed I'd go further and say that in a hotel/business you'd be more likely to say:

Please contact reception (more likely without the 'our')

than

Please contact the receptionist

especially in the case of a firm of any size where 'receptionist' suggests one person at the end of the line; 'reception' suggests a whole reception desk is waiting to attend your, the customer's, needs - and which firm wants to sound smaller/less important than it is?

Absolutely, "reception" sounds better than "our reception".

It's similar to when we say "Contact the office for more information". Obviously, you can't literally contact an office - an office can't speak - but we don't specify "Please contact our staff/employees at the office".

Status
Not open for further replies.