unit of work

Status
Not open for further replies.

star2nv16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

I need help in preparing a unit of work, 6-8 hours in total. I have decided to focus on students that are at a beginner level in English language. These students are going to study at universities where English is the main language, however they do not know how to speak it but understand it. Where do I go from here? Where do I start?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What approach/method will you be using? What are their subject areas? To be honest, are they really up to studying in English at this level?

star2nv16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

No they've actually come from overseas to Australia with no English speaking background. They can read but do not understand what they are reading. They can not make conversations, and the reason they come to Australia is to study.
I'm teaching them English so they can communicate at university with their peers and teachers. Pretty much I am teaching English as a foreign language to them. Where do I begin?

Regards,

Sana

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
They can read but do not understand what they are reading.

What is the definition of "they can read"?

I think you mean they cannot pronounce what they read properly.
I know lots of students who can "read" English, I mean understand written English, but cannot speak English. There are even some who can write English without being able to speak or understand spoken English.

star2nv16

Member Type
Student or Learner
So any suggestions for a unit of work. I have to make lesson plans, including class notes etc. Need help!!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The basic problem is that they are nowhere near the level required to study in a university. Most materials for prospective university students will be too advanced, from what you have described. It really does sound more like a case for a general English course to me. Are they planning to study the same subject? If so you can base materials around their subject or area.

Status
Not open for further replies.