castle capitalize?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 11,012
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

My brother went to Castle Trio. (no correction needed)

What about here:

My brother went to the castle of Trio.

Does castle need to be capitalized in second sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My brother went to Castle Trio. (no correction needed)

What about here:

Does castle need to be capitalized in second sentence?

If Trio is the name of the town, then usually in English it would be referred to as Trio Castle (not Castle Trio), though I accept that it may be a local name and therefore correct. In BrE the name of the town/city/area normally comes first - Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, Brighton Pavilion etc, although I do know of a Welsh one called Castell Coch, but I believe that translates to Red Castle.

However, in your second sentence, and again assuming that Trio is the name of the town, then it should read "My brother went to the castle in Trio", and castle does not require capitalisation.

Last edited:

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My brother went to Castle Trio. (no correction needed) Don't you mean 'Trio Castle'? We don't say Castle [Name], at least for castles in the UK, with very few exceptions. Let's see: Windsor Castle (the Queen's residence), Balmoral Castle (again, but when she's in Scotland), Warwick Castle, Berry Pomeroy Castle (my local), Caerphilly Castle, Leeds Castle. Ah, but then not far from me there is Castle Drogo.

What about here:

Does castle need to be capitalized in second sentence? No, not unless the 'Castle of Trio' is its title, but as I say above most castles are in the form '[Name] Castle' at least in the UK so I'd stick to 'My brother went to Trio Castle', although if Trio was a person and the castle named after him, then one might expect to see 'the Castle of Trio' (but I don't think there are many such castles). Contrast common English usage with French where they write 'Chateau de' eg 'Chateau de Chenonceau'

Bertie

Status
Not open for further replies.