Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'It takes again a very special strong kind of person to make it through 16 years of incarceration and keep fighting for their freedom'
what does again mean here?

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'It takes again a very special strong kind of person to make it through 16 years of incarceration and keep fighting for their freedom'
what does again mean here?

Thanks!

In my opinion, "again" shouldn't be there.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my opinion, "again" shouldn't be there.
but it was there,I dont think it shouldn't be there ,just not sure what it means.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With such limited context, it's impossible to tell if it's simply a mistake (as it would be in a stand-alone sentence). If there was a prior reference to a need to be strong, that "again" could make sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
but it was there,I dont think it shouldn't be there ,just not sure what it means.

Well, unless Barb is right, and there was some previous context that would make it make sense, I do think it shouldn't be there and that it was a mistake in the original text! :-D

As it stands, it means nothing.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
here the context:
"A California man finally free after serving 16 years for a crime he didn’t commit. This is Reggie Cole. He actually walked out of a California prison over the weekend, thanking the California Innocence Project and law school students who worked diligently on this case. Attorneys were able to successfully argue that Cole’s 1994 murder conviction was based on evidence that was simply fabricated.
'It takes again a very special strong kind of person to make it through 16 years of incarceration and keep fighting for their freedom.'
'The only way I can think to repay them is to go out to society and prove that I’ve spent these last 16 years, preparing myself to be free.' "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
here the context:
"A California man finally free after serving 16 years for a crime he didn’t commit. This is Reggie Cole. He actually walked out of a California prison over the weekend, thanking the California Innocence Project and law school students who worked diligently on this case. Attorneys were able to successfully argue that Cole’s 1994 murder conviction was based on evidence that was simply fabricated.
'It takes again a very special strong kind of person to make it through 16 years of incarceration and keep fighting for their freedom.'
'The only way I can think to repay them is to go out to society and prove that I’ve spent these last 16 years, preparing myself to be free.' "

Well, having seen the full text, I still don't know why he chose to say the word "again". When people are quoted from interviews etc, you will often find that what they actually say isn't grammatically correct. If this guy was put on the spot by reporters as he walked out of prison after 16 years, I'm not surprised he wasn't necessarily worrying about what he said being grammatically correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.