Post Thanks / Like

Default are 'for' and 'of' sometimes interchangable?

Following are what I have come upon in books by native writers.

Connotations are never completely fixed, for they can vary with different contexts for a word.
    Living conditions for most of the citizens are very bad.

But I just couldn't make out how the meanings would be altered if those 'for's were replaced with 'of's. "Difference contexts of a word" seems okay. But are 'for' and 'of' actually interchangable in these cases? I guess there may be some slight differences. I'm looking forward to any reply. Thanks!

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: are 'for' and 'of' sometimes interchangable?

How's this: The accommodations for the crew were luxurious. (They aren't living there yet.) The accommodations of the crew were luxurious. (They are living there) The prhase "the meaning for a word" sounds incorrect to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: are 'for' and 'of' sometimes interchangable?

Thanks! mykwyner. But did you mean 'context for the word'? It sounds a bit odd to me, too, but it appears in a grammar book and I searched in Google and found a lot of these usages, such as There is no other meaning for the word 'Mass' or 'Christ-Mass', and 'The global context for US Technology Policy', and 'The Historical Context of the Bhagavad Gita'.
    I suddenly realized that I had rarely used 'for' in place of 'of'. But I cannot figure out when it is appropriate to use 'context for a word' and when 'context of a word'.