Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Is it a good way to say this sentence?

The film director portraits/shows the circumstances of two characters who feel strangers in themselves (or better "who feel themselves strangers"?) though because of different reasons (maybe better "but for different reasons?).

Thanks

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Any help, please

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are they strangers to each other, or for some reason, they feel they don't "know" themselves very well? I ask because you don't have to "feel" that someone is a stranger - if you have never met that person, he is a stranger.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they strangers to each other, or for some reason, they feel they don't "know" themselves very well? Yeah, could you mean 'who feel at odds with themselves'?

Bertie

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Are they strangers to each other, or for some reason, they feel they don't "know" themselves very well? I ask because you don't have to "feel" that someone is a stranger - if you have never met that person, he is a stranger.

They feel they don't know themselves very well.

Thanks

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi, Bushwhacker, long time no see.

Do you mean to say that they don't know each other ?, or,
Each of them feels that they, separately, have estranged or alienated themselves from others (or from each other).
Or are they have an uneasy feeling because they think they don't belong to where they are now, but for different reasons?

I'm out of options for now, and I hope my sentences are as understandable as I expect them to be.:-?

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi, Bushwhacker, long time no see.

Do you mean to say that they don't know each other ?, or,
Each of them feels that they, separately, have estranged or alienated themselves from others (or from each other).
Or are they have an uneasy feeling because they think they don't belong to where they are now, but for different reasons?

I'm out of options for now, and I hope my sentences are as understandable as I expect them to be.:-?

Hello. Glad to know from you. I mean they feel, separately, they don't know themselves. Each one feels is a stranger for himself/herself.

Thank You

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Then, what would it be that the director trying to depict?; two different stories of two different people, or, one story with two different people (, which their paths cross somehow)

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Then, what would it be that the director trying to depict?; two different stories of two different people, or, one story with two different people (, which their paths cross somehow)

The movie is about a man and a woman who fall in love but each one is complicated, with important personal problems to solve before anything else.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The movie is about a man and a woman who fall in love, but each has important personal problems to solve before they can move forward.

I made a few changes and I think you have done a nice summary.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bushwhacker

On the one hand, you write that they've got personal problems to solve - this tends to mean family, financial, lifestyle problems, etc - on the other, you say they don't know themselves, which suggests that they feel lost and alienated from themselves - more of an existential than a personal crisis. Could you clarify a bit more?

Status
Not open for further replies.